• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kal View Post
    My standard line when asked that fishing question is 'no, just started looking'
    I've probably already said it in this thread, but just in case...

I stop looking for a role either at the end of, or during, the day. I start looking the following day. When an agent asks "have you got any other interviews lined up?", I always respond honestly - "I only started looking today"
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Manz View Post
      When an agent asks "have you got any other interviews lined up?" or "Have you had any interviews lately?" what do you normally respond with?

I usually say "no, I haven't had any" even though I have had other interviews but didn't get the roles.
      I sometimes say yes I have something lined up but nothing in an advanced stage yet, so they understand I'm sought after. The question that always follows this answer: Oh who is that with? to which I reply none of your business.
      In most cases however I say no I just started looking this week

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        When an agent asks "have you got any other interviews lined up?", I always respond honestly - "I only started looking today"
        "No, but if I have, I certainly wouldn't tell you."

qh
        He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by Robinho View Post
          Has this become more prevelant recently?
          Yes it has.

Comment

The one I like at the moment when I say I've got a job is "Oh, where's that?"

As if they would've told me where the job they're advertising for is...
            ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
              The one I like at the moment when I say I've got a job is "Oh, sorry I thought you were a contractor"
              FTFY
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

On the subject of Henlow Recruitment Group LLP or HRG as they like to call themselves, I had a call the other day which sounded like a blatant fishing attempt.

After giving them the names of people I hated at previous gigs, I called the company they claimed to be recruiting for who had unsurprisingly never heard of them.

A quick search on the ICO Data Controllers register revealed Henlow was not registered as they should legally be, given what they are doing with data is a notifiable activity. They have apparently registered now, as of yesterday after having it pointed out to them that they have been committing a criminal offence since September 2012 when they started.

If anyone wants the mobile number of one of their Directors then DM me....

Comment

Pimp: How are you doing mate?
                  FLC: *Mate?* I'm good ta, you?
                  Pimp: Listen, I have a very good gig for you. What is your current situation?
                  FLC: I'm in an active contract atleast till end of this year.
                  Pimp: Are you still with XYZ?
                  FLC: No, moved on.
                  Pimp: Where do you work these days?
                  FLC: *FFS* I work at PQR.
                  Pimp: Aah, PQR I see. Your LinkedIn says so.
                  FLC: *Wonders if this guy is retarded*
                  Pimp: Does Mr. Tulip Raker still work there?
                  FLC: No
                  Pimp: So who do you report to?
                  FLC: Why would you like to know?
                  <beep> <beep> Sudden disconnection.

Guess I have to put a link to this thread on my LinkedIn profile ...

Comment

Pimp : Hi, I'm Jordan from Computerfutures....blah, blah blah blah.
                    Me : blah, blah, blah, blah.
                    Pimp : Before I put you forward, I will need 2 technical references
                    Me : Not before I have interviewed
                    Pimp : Not even if I tell you the (potential) interviewer's name?
                    Me : No, not until I have had the interview and I would consider taking the role.
                    Pimp : If that is your attitude, then we won't bother contacting you for work in future.
                    Me : That sounds perfect to me. Can you please remove me from your resourcing database. I don't like your working practises.

FFWD 12 hours:

Email from Jordan @ Computerefutures ear Scruff,

Urgent role requiring an experienced Senior Technical Engineer to work on a 6 months contract, with an internationally recognised publishing firm in London.

FFS...
                    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

I often get agents urgently trying to get hold of me, ringing several times, leaving voicemails and emails asking me to call back. Quite often the role is completely irrelevant (like sending junior tester roles to architects) and in the arse end of nowhere. Agents really can be very confused individuals.

Comment

Working...
                      X