• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ignorant Agent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignorant Agent

Hi Folks

Newbie here seeking some advice.

I'm getting very irked by a certain agent who is being plain ignorant.
    I've been on the bench for 2months due to having bad flu and am now actively looking for my next gig. Im a test analyst and a contractor for 7yrs.

I seen a job on Jobserve today and sent my CV off, then rang the agent straight away at 2.20pm. Told she was on the phone and would ring me back. No call. Rang again at 3.00, told the same. No acknowledgement of email and no call back since.

Earlier in the day I applied for a role an hour after it had been advertised only to be told they had had enough CV's and would keep me in mind. They had already submitted 15 CV's and would keep me updated. Now based on this knowledge, first come first served etc, as soon as I saw the other one I applied straight away and followed it up with a phone call. To no avail. As you can see its getting late in the day on a Friday afternoon. What would you do in this particular circumstance? Hound them? Complain? Or just give up the ghost?

Originally posted by Tyler View Post
    Hi Folks

I've been on the bench for 2months due to having bad flu and am now actively looking for my next gig. Im a test analyst and a contractor for 7yrs.

I seen a job on Jobserve today and sent my CV off, then rang the agent straight away at 2.20pm. Told she was on the phone and would ring me back. No call. Rang again at 3.00, told the same. No acknowledgement of email and no call back since.

Earlier in the day I applied for a role an hour after it had been advertised only to be told they had had enough CV's and would keep me in mind. They had already submitted 15 CV's and would keep me updated. Now based on this knowledge, first come first served etc, as soon as I saw the other one I applied straight away and followed it up with a phone call. To no avail. As you can see its getting late in the day on a Friday afternoon. What would you do in this particular circumstance? Hound them? Complain? Or just give up the ghost?
    I'd give it up, no point in letting it bother you - just move on.

There is no point in expecting too much from agents. Set your expection level similar to where it would be set for a second hand car dealer, and you will have it about right.

You could also let us know who it was so that we all know not to waste our time knocking on that particular door as well.

Comment

Conclude that they don't want you. If they did, they'd be in touch.
      There's no expectation for your prospects to get in touch with you if they don't want your services. Just like when Barclaycard keep sending me leaflets offering me a credit card: I just chuck them in the bin, I don't feel obliged to call them and politely explain why I don't want one of their cards.

Comment

tell agents about your current rate

I don’t call the agents after sending my CVs. Normally, they call me back if I am the right candidate for their clients. Unfortunately, I have received a lot of calls for permanent roles rather than contract.

They usually ask me about my current rate before telling me about their client jobs. If I refuse to tell them my rate, they would say that I was not honest and didn’t trust them. I know some of them are fishing and have no jobs. Does it really matter how much I earned with my previous client? I prefer to keep this confidential. even though I know I may miss a chance to get a contract if I don't tell them my rate. Is it necessary to tell them?

Comment

I tell them the rate I want (which may not be my current rate...). If they can't afford me there's no point continuing with the conversation...
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

What would you do in this particular circumstance? Hound them? Complain? Or just give up the ghost?
            Give it up and move onto the next one. What's the point of complaining to an agent? And to whom would you complain?

If they wanted you, then they would be hounding you, so obviously they don't, for whatever reason.

How are you describing the past two months, if at all? They may be getting cold feet / a bad impression if they can't account for where you've been. If they ask you, what are you telling them? I would steer clear of the "flu" excuse - even if it's true (and I'm not doubting you), there are others that will be sceptical about it.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Sounds like the job didn't exist anyway so it was just a fishing exercise by the agent. Let it go and move on.

Do however follow the advice of the previous poster and window dress your past 2 months.

Comment

Originally posted by abc View Post
                Set your expection level similar to where it would be set for a second hand car dealer, and you will have it about right.
                That is, how a second hand car dealer would behave if you were selling him a car.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Hi Folks

Find out as much as you can about the job then call a "friendly" agent
                  and get him to to do the rest
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

With respects TYLER, take it on the chin m8

I've been contracting 12 years as 2nd/3rd line support and like most contractors, I have the smartest garden and best decorated house in the street due to gaps in between contracts, and like you, I’m 'sat on the bench' right now sending out CVs

I've setup a daily email filter with Jobserve, each morning I go through this and apply for the jobs that suit. I don’t even note the rate, just the role and location and email the agent stating availability but not the rate required (in this day and age, that’s simply arrogance)

The norm for me is @4 email applications a day to agents and by noon, I walk away from the PC and chill out and wait for my mobile to ring, if it doesn’t, either the role doesn’t exist (CV fishing), I’m too old/experienced or not qualified for the position

As stated, I don’t send off for a role the moment it goes out on Jobserve but to use the daily email filter alert and apply the next morning, that way the agent doesn’t get inundated, and I DON’T phone the agent (as someone stated in the thread above) because if the job exists or they are interested in you, they will call you!

Pimps and prostitutes m8, that’s what we are

I wish you well
                    Last edited by arthur_cider; 12 November 2007, 09:07.

Comment

Working...
                    X