• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Ignorant Agent

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Ignorant Agent"

Collapse

• KevinS
    replied
    Originally posted by lenbod View Post
    hi,

where did you find your career development consultant to re-do your cv?
    Just Google for 'professional CV writer' and you'll get a million hits..

I paid about £100 to have it done, when I first started contracting, a couple of years ago - money well spent as I have had numerous agents complimenting my CV and not been out of work since..

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by robnjc View Post
    All agents are scum-sucking parasites.
    Calling yourself scum is a bit over the top, I quite like a lot of contractors (esp the big margin ones )

Leave a comment:

• robnjc
    replied
    All agents are scum-sucking parasites.

Leave a comment:

• lenbod
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    Tyler, if your current CV is not getting you call from agents, maybe it time to re-do it. I went to see a career development consultant and got my CV re-done. Not been out of work since, so it was worth it for me.
    hi,

where did you find your career development consultant to re-do your cv?

Leave a comment:

• KathyWoolfe
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Find out as much as you can about the job then call a "friendly" agent
    and get him to to do the rest
    A "friendly" agent exists - never heard of such a thing

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Tyler, if your current CV is not getting you call from agents, maybe it time to re-do it. I went to see a career development consultant and got my CV re-done. Not been out of work since, so it was worth it for me.

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    Also, I don't deny that most of them are full of it, but there are some that are OK and especially if you've worked with them before it is worth calling as they know you're a reliable cash cow.

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    I disagree that its not worth phoning the agent - ringing them at least gets them to look at your CV and ask any questions they may have - I believe it has helped me in the past. Better that than sitting around with your finger up your nose waiting for them to make the next move..

Leave a comment:

• Grim Reaper
    replied
    Tyler, I was going through the same as you a couple of weeks ago and learnt it was a waste of time ringing agents. Most of them are full of it.
    Recently had an interview and through the week I was getting ad-hoc calls from the agent as sweeteners cause i was potential money for them buiding up for the interview. Ended up i must of been beaten to the post by some other applicant; did not ever find out why, no follow ups etc.
    You can often tell after the first minute if you talking to a waster.
    As sausage says, just apply and let em call you. I know you want to appear eager but it does not really help with agencies.

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    replied
    Originally posted by arthur_cider View Post
    With respects TYLER, take it on the chin m8

I've been contracting 12 years as 2nd/3rd line support and like most contractors. I have the smartest garden and best decorated house in the street due to gaps in between contracts, and like you, I’m 'sat on the bench' right now sending out CVs

I've setup a daily email filter with Jobserve, each morning I go through this and apply for the jobs that suit. I don’t even note the rate, just the role and location and email the agent stating availability but not the rate required (in this day and age, that’s simply arrogance)

The norm for me is @4 email applications a day to agents and by noon, I walk away from the PC and chill out and wait for my mobile to ring, if it doesn’t, either the role doesn’t exist (CV fishing), I’m too old/experienced or not qualified for the position

As stated, I don’t send off for a role the moment it goes out on Jobserve but to use the daily email filter alert and apply the next morning, that way the agent doesn’t get inundated, and I DON’T phone the agent (as someone stated in the thread above) because if the job exists or they are interested in you, they will call you!

Pimps and prostitutes m8, that’s what we are

I wish you well
    If the gig is with a company I've been with before I always phone to let them know that I may have inside contacts. Agents will grab at anything to sway the role in their (and your) favour.

Leave a comment:

• arthur_cider
    replied
    With respects TYLER, take it on the chin m8

I've been contracting 12 years as 2nd/3rd line support and like most contractors, I have the smartest garden and best decorated house in the street due to gaps in between contracts, and like you, I’m 'sat on the bench' right now sending out CVs

I've setup a daily email filter with Jobserve, each morning I go through this and apply for the jobs that suit. I don’t even note the rate, just the role and location and email the agent stating availability but not the rate required (in this day and age, that’s simply arrogance)

The norm for me is @4 email applications a day to agents and by noon, I walk away from the PC and chill out and wait for my mobile to ring, if it doesn’t, either the role doesn’t exist (CV fishing), I’m too old/experienced or not qualified for the position

As stated, I don’t send off for a role the moment it goes out on Jobserve but to use the daily email filter alert and apply the next morning, that way the agent doesn’t get inundated, and I DON’T phone the agent (as someone stated in the thread above) because if the job exists or they are interested in you, they will call you!

Pimps and prostitutes m8, that’s what we are

I wish you well
    Last edited by arthur_cider; 12 November 2007, 09:07.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Tyler View Post
    Hi Folks

Newbie here seeking some advice.

I'm getting very irked by a certain agent who is being plain ignorant.
    I've been on the bench for 2months due to having bad flu and am now actively looking for my next gig. Im a test analyst and a contractor for 7yrs.

I seen a job on Jobserve today and sent my CV off, then rang the agent straight away at 2.20pm. Told she was on the phone and would ring me back. No call. Rang again at 3.00, told the same. No acknowledgement of email and no call back since.

Earlier in the day I applied for a role an hour after it had been advertised only to be told they had had enough CV's and would keep me in mind. They had already submitted 15 CV's and would keep me updated. Now based on this knowledge, first come first served etc, as soon as I saw the other one I applied straight away and followed it up with a phone call. To no avail. As you can see its getting late in the day on a Friday afternoon. What would you do in this particular circumstance? Hound them? Complain? Or just give up the ghost?
    Find out as much as you can about the job then call a "friendly" agent
    and get him to to do the rest

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by abc View Post
    Set your expection level similar to where it would be set for a second hand car dealer, and you will have it about right.
    That is, how a second hand car dealer would behave if you were selling him a car.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Sounds like the job didn't exist anyway so it was just a fishing exercise by the agent. Let it go and move on.

Do however follow the advice of the previous poster and window dress your past 2 months.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X