• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What a set of Bankers!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a set of Bankers!

They're at it again with the furloughs.

A friend of mine has been informed of a requirement to take 10 days off over the summer (talk about short notice) and a further 10 days off at Xmas.

No doubt the other banks will follow suit.

So glad I stopped servicing that sector a decade ago.

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
    They're at it again with the furloughs.

A friend of mine has been informed of a requirement to take 10 days off over the summer (talk about short notice) and a further 10 days off at Xmas.

No doubt the other banks will follow suit.

So glad I stopped servicing that sector a decade ago.
    What bank - because as far as I'm aware the 10 solid days over the summer has been policy for 20+ years and the 10 days over Christmas was the case when I was at NatWest.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

What bank - because as far as I'm aware the 10 solid days over the summer has been policy for 20+ years and the 10 days over Christmas was the case when I was at NatWest.
      That's what I thought. From what I remember the same was requested by Barclays back in the day.

Xmas furlough is nothing new in any sector. Banking, retail, utilities, even public sector clients I've been at usually have some kind of xmas break.

Old posts discussion this are;-
      From 2018
      https://forums.contractoruk.com/gene...hs-2018-a.html

https://forums.contractoruk.com/acco...-furlough.html

https://forums.contractoruk.com/busi...ml#post2392042

and so on.....
      Last edited by northernladuk; 16 July 2024, 12:29.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

it's not a 'set' - it's a 'wunch'
        and this has been the norm for 20+ years, as eek says.
        If you don't 'service' the sector, what's your problem?

Comment

The Xmas furloughs has been a common thing, it certainly existed when I was there, but the summer one is certainly new. Friend has been at that bank on/off for a few years and summer furloughs never were a thing. French investment bank, I'll let you work it out!

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

I worked the investment banking sector for 10 years and I can assure you summer furloughs never were a thing in that sector.

Comment

and? - your problem is what?

Comment

Originally posted by sadkingbilly View Post
                and? - your problem is what?
                My problem seems to be you. Get out of bed the wrong side this morning?

You known, this forum is for people talking about state of the market, happenings in the sector, 'information sharing' etc., You don't think think this post is worthy information that others might be interested in, especially if they're pursuing contracts in that sector?

You can always 'not respond' you know if the thread offends you?

Comment

Isn't it to do with fraud? The thinking is if you have a scam going it will unravel in a fortnight.

You used to have to have two weeks off together when I worked in Share Registration 25 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
                    Isn't it to do with fraud? The thinking is if you have a scam going it will unravel in a fortnight.

You used to have to have two weeks off together when I worked in Share Registration 25 years ago.
                    Some regulated businesses have a requirement for 'block leave' - a full week off with access to company systems unavailable during that time.
                    That's permies only though.
                    This just sounds like they're ensuring that contractors have time off when business is traditionally quieter.

Comment

Working...
                    X