• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

London ExCel

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

London ExCel

Was looking at going to the AWS Summit at London ExCel but what a faff getting there, only travelling from Brum, don't fancy crossing London in rush hour.

Thought about flying into City Airport but I'd have to fly from Edinburgh, Glasgow or Belfast.

Maybe HS2 has a valid use now? (yes I am being very sarcastic).

qh

He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
    Was looking at going to the AWS Summit at London ExCel but what a faff getting there, only travelling from Brum, don't fancy crossing London in rush hour.

Thought about flying into City Airport but I'd have to fly from Edinburgh, Glasgow or Belfast.

Maybe HS2 has a valid use now? (yes I am being very sarcastic).

qh
    Yes it 2 hours I think from New Street to London Euston on the Avanti fast trains and then you to get on the underground. You'd jump onto the Circle line to get near to Dockland Light Rail (DLR), Bank or Fenchurch Street. So you are looking 45 minutes of faffing in London to get to Excel. How about spending a night over in East London? Travelodge or Premier Inn the night before. I haven't been to AWS Summit since 2019. I spoke to one guy who wanted me to become a certified Solution Architect, they were hiring for permies then, and I was an certified Outside IR35-er. My oh my how the tables have turned around?

Yeah. Some of you guys are still looking. Probably worth a trip /punt to do a little face-to-face with Amazonites, swap business cards and contacts and what nots, plus you never know who you might bump into past work times, an old buddy. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post

Yes it 2 hours I think from New Street to London Euston on the Avanti fast trains and then you to get on the underground. You'd jump onto the Circle line to get near to Dockland Light Rail (DLR), Bank or Fenchurch Street. So you are looking 45 minutes of faffing in London to get to Excel. How about spending a night over in East London? Travelodge or Premier Inn the night before. I haven't been to AWS Summit since 2019. I spoke to one guy who wanted me to become a certified Solution Architect, they were hiring for permies then, and I was an certified Outside IR35-er. My oh my how the tables have turned around?

Yeah. Some of you guys are still looking. Probably worth a trip /punt to do a little face-to-face with Amazonites, swap business cards and contacts and what nots, plus you never know who you might bump into past work times, an old buddy. Good luck.
      A few alternatives:
      • Birmingham Moor St to Marylebone
      • Walk to Baker St (5 min)
      • Jubilee Line to Canning Town
      • 2 stops on DLR to Custom House (station for Excel)
      or
      • Birmingham New St to Paddington
      • Elizabeth Line to Custom House
      or
      • Birmingham Moor St to Marylebone
      • Bakerloo line to Paddington (2 stops)
      • Elizabeth Line to Custom House

Probably no quicker, but possibly a little less painful.

Comment

Thanks Snooky.

qh

Comment

I'd go Euston to Tottenham Court Road (make sure you get Charing X branch) and Lizzy line to Custom House

Comment

I have to visit a couple of DLR stops past Custom House and if you can do it after rush hour it is fine

Comment

Snooky and others, while using Marylebone is a valid route from Brum, be careful if you have mobility issues as there are no lifts if you have mobility issues.
              Its stairs and escalators only to access the underground at Marylebone.
              You should be ok getting off the mainline.
              But if you are like me and are unable to use either stairs or escalators then you are a bit fooked!
              Baker Street is a little better but not much in some cases - it depends on the route you need.
              There are some Avanti trains from Coventry to Euston non-stop. Going to Tottenham Court road, then Lizzie to Excel is a good idea.
              (Usual disclaimers about my health, blah blah)
              Last edited by courtg9000; 7 March 2024, 11:52. Reason: added usual health disclaimers
              Former IPSE member
              My Website

Comment

Totally forgot about the Elizabeth Line.

Part of me wanted to fly there just so I can land at London City just for the hell of it.

Cheers all.

qh

Comment

Working...
                X