• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

5 houses in - carry on or slowly retire ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 houses in - carry on or slowly retire ?

Where do you put a stop to this ? Just finished buying another house and my greedy nature is already thinking of next. My girlfriend wants me to stop and retire on Tenerife with small but healthy income in comparison to contracting.

on one hand I think I have developed solid investment strategy with loads of millions capacity. At a cost staying in this crap weather

on the other a place in the sun now…

I know it’s free advice but I’m interested what are your views on this ?

My advice is to post your made up willy waving stories in general rather than in prof where it's considered trolling.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

But moaning about “I didn’t save for retirement after contracting for 30 years, what do?” is ok ?

Comment

A few more wouldn't hurt.
        Lots of "stock" due in the new year!
        Former IPSE member
        My Website

Comment

Originally posted by GitMaster69 View Post
          But moaning about “I didn’t save for retirement after contracting for 30 years, what do?” is ok ?
          Yes. That thread is someone struggling in the current market, it invokes professional responses and discussion.

'My partner thinks a second yacht is a waste, how outrageous are they! Should I trade her in for a better model?!?!?!' does not. If you phrased the topic better, ie how much needed to retire, it would probably fit in.

Comment

Originally posted by JustKeepSwimming View Post

Yes. That thread is someone struggling in the current market, it invokes professional responses and discussion.

'My partner thinks a second yacht is a waste, how outrageous are they! Should I trade her in for a better model?!?!?!' does not. If you phrased the topic better, ie how much needed to retire, it would probably fit in.
            Better question is how to stop yourself endlessly chasing money. I’ve breached my life goal a while back but simply shrugged it off and set the bar higher … there’s always bigger yacht.
            Therapy it is I guess
            Last edited by GitMaster69; 2 December 2023, 18:30.

Comment

Better question is how to stop yourself endlessly chasing money. I’ve breached my life goal a while back but simply shrugged it off and set the bar higher … there’s always bigger yacht.
              Therapy it is I guess
              Perhaps this might help clarify matters...
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I know it’s free advice but I’m interested what are your views on this ?
                Erm... you're a trolling prat?

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

This is a UK forum so you must participate in: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crab_mentality

Winning/winners aren't celebrated here, perhaps try a US forum.

Comment

If I didn’t need the money or my mortgage was paid off - which is a couple of years off - I would either retire or find a permanent local job.

Rumours of the imminent demise of contesting have been greatly exaggerated in the 15 years I have been doing it but there is bigger gaps between contracts, if you can find an Outside one clients still want to treat you like a permanent employee and the financial premium is not what it was.

Comment

Working...
                    X