• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Unethical request

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unethical request

Was working for client co until recently. However about 2mths into my contract an employee from a well known Indian consultancy approached me, suggesting that he would happily do my work for me for half the day rate.

I declined as I wanted to learn the tech stack myself but was bemused by his request. Whilst I was the only contractor there, I did wonder if this was his thing to generate extra income and whether he had approached others in the team.

So my question is, has this ever happened to anyone else and if so how did you handle it.

And the second question is, now that I am leaving, would it be wise to whistleblow or at least let someone know what's going on in the organisation?

Never happened but I've suspected it and double jobbing.

I tend to work with compliance manager/director, so I would mention it, professional obligation.

My issue isn't someone pulling a fast one, fair play, it's more the lack of visibility and vetting on the unknown.

Comment

Originally posted by SchumiStars View Post
      Was working for client co until recently. However about 2mths into my contract an employee from a well known Indian consultancy approached me, suggesting that he would happily do my work for me for half the day rate.

I declined as I wanted to learn the tech stack myself but was bemused by his request. Whilst I was the only contractor there, I did wonder if this was his thing to generate extra income and whether he had approached others in the team.
      So is this guy already connected to your client or is he separate and just selling his services?

So my question is, has this ever happened to anyone else and if so how did you handle it.
      Ignore it and move on.

And the second question is, now that I am leaving, would it be wise to whistleblow or at least let someone know what's going on in the organisation?
      Nope, not your business so just forget it and move on. Nothing good is going to come of it for you and could possibly start some hassle so there is zero benefit you getting involved.

Do your job, send your invoice in and leave.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

let someone know what's going on in the organisation?
        Nothing to be gained from snitching/grassing/ratting/tell-tailing, especially now that you are leaving.

Comment

I was offered some fairly serious ££££ to put people I had no connection with through the SC process (I'm a sponsor on a portal that allows this); it was phrased as a 'sort of' hypothetical question. I nearly broke the sound barrier with the speed I turned the offer down.

Only time I was asked outright to do something unethical I was still a permie and had to do a lot of wriggling to get out of a situation; test manager asked me outright to pass all the tests in a series of scripts before running them!

Comment

Originally posted by David71 View Post
            I was offered some fairly serious ££££ to put people I had no connection with through the SC process (I'm a sponsor on a portal that allows this); it was phrased as a 'sort of' hypothetical question. I nearly broke the sound barrier with the speed I turned the offer down.

Only time I was asked outright to do something unethical I was still a permie and had to do a lot of wriggling to get out of a situation; test manager asked me outright to pass all the tests in a series of scripts before running them!
            Oh that last one is easy - happy to do so after you send me an email formally asking me to do so...
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Never happened to me but I remember this from a few years ago.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21043693

Comment

Right, going to follow the advice offered which is unanimously in favour of STFU.

​​​​​​

Comment

"Supplier seeks work" is an unethical request to you? What do you think your Right of Substitution is for?

Sounds like you're Inside.
                  ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

The answer depends on who ClientCo is. If it's a service provider with security checked and cleared staff, a government or local council entity or anything involving potential access to sensitive work, code, signing keys, sensitive architecture then I'd report it to the security team and the compliance department and ensure anybody it's reported to knows the other teams have received the report too. It is your duty to do this under any government or public service role and in your interest if cleared or working on material requiring SC, eSC, DV, eDV clearances. You're getting paid to be a professional and that includes in the supply chain.

If it's a boring end client and you think it was a meaningless chancer then the call is yours.

Comment

Working...
                    X