• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help! Interview Clash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! Interview Clash

Hi

Sorry if I should already know how to deal with this situation but;

I've applied for couple of contract roles on Fri and I got response from both agencies. One has already scheduled an interview with the client on Tue and I expect the other one will definitely call me on Mon to schedule an interview with their clients. Both roles are equally good and paying same rate, length and very good end clients.

How do I deal with situation? I would like to be in good books of both agencies.

1. If I accept the interview with agent2 on Mon and if my Tue interview goes fine with agent1, I'll be end up wasting agent2's time and potentially missing further opportunities from this agency.

2. If I don't accept the interview (god knows what excuse I should give), and my agent1 interview doesn't go well, I'm at dead road.

Please be gentle, I’m still learning

Thank You

errr......
    If you need help with this you're gonna really struggle at an actual interview.

If you're not available for an interview, just say "I'm not available at that time. Can we do it later/earlier/another day?"
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      errr......
      If you need help with this you're gonna really struggle at an actual interview.

If you're not available for an interview, just say "I'm not available at that time. Can we do it later/earlier/another day?"
      Yes, I thought about it as well. If I hold him for few days and if I'm through with the first role, I would be eventually wasting his time. I know I might be overthinking but I was in similar situation a while back and an agency wasn't happy for holding him for few days and now I can't go to them for future roles. I just don't want to repeat the same mistake (if it was a mistake) and loosing another potential agency.

Comment

You don’t have an interview clash.
        An interview clash is when you have two interviews at the same time.

What you have is an opportunity. Agree to interviews when you can, and arrange times that suit you.
        If you get two offers, then you have a choice to make. Toss a coin and before it lands you will know which role you want.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Go to both interviews, get two offers and use them as leverage against one another to extract the best terms.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete30 View Post

Yes, I thought about it as well. If I hold him for few days and if I'm through with the first role, I would be eventually wasting his time. I know I might be overthinking but I was in similar situation a while back and an agency wasn't happy for holding him for few days and now I can't go to them for future roles. I just don't want to repeat the same mistake (if it was a mistake) and loosing another potential agency.
            The last time you delayed for time, but as long as you give a clear yes or no after the interview there shouldn't be a problem. You have two good opportunities I would advise simply accepting the first offer that you get. The fact that you have two opportunities means you should be ambitious with your rate, at least for the first one. Once you agree verbally, stick with the decision unless there is good financial incentive as you will annoy the client. That is more important than annoying the agent.
            Last edited by BlasterBates; 19 February 2023, 11:57.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

I’m usually up front to both agencies if they ask, especially the following agency (not sure if that’s the right approach though!), and try and arrange both interviews as close as possible. I’ve had to turn down offers when both have offered before, not had any problems with the agents afterwards. The risk with the first interview is if they offer quickly, I’ve been lucky they’ve taken a day or so giving time to do the second interview. Good luck with both!

Comment

Keep on looking, including interviewing, until you have a contract in your hand or sitting at your desk/logged in from home working for them.

Comment

This sounds horrible to say, but you need to play the game a bit, as in every one of these interactions, it's being played against you anyway.

To every agent, you're immediately available, have nothing else on the table, and aren't taking further enquiries.

In reality - you might have a notice to serve, you might have 2 contracts on the table and a 3rd interview tomorrow.... you want to hedge your bets hard and then let people down when you have to.

Which sounds horrible. We don't want to be like that, right?

But here's the thing... they're doing it with you. You know those interviews that go amazingly well and you end up waiting 1-2 weeks to hear back? That's the client's first choice declining the gig for something else. You'll never be told that, but that's what just happened.

Basically, don't worry about wasting the time of people who are very likely already wasting yours to some degree, and certainly wouldn't fail to do so if the need arose. there's a great saying here - keep looking until you're at the client's desk (Remotely speaking, unless you're NLUK)
                  Last edited by PerfectStorm; 22 February 2023, 10:49.
                  ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by Smoggy View Post
                    Go to both interviews, get two offers and use them as leverage against one another to extract the best terms.
                    You should be doing that even if you only have one prospect tbh
                    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Working...
                    X