• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor Websites (be careful)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contractor Websites (be careful)

Though I have never registered for this board before today, I usually check it out 1 or 2 times a week. Reason why is that I build websites exclusively for contractors and I am seeing a lot of mistakes being made by some of you guys. I am going to give you some free advice hopefully to save you some of the headaches that most of you are for sure to have!

1. The biggest mistake that I see made by contractors is in the domain name that they choose. Most try to get the domain that most closely matches the name of thier business. Here's what the pros like me do (And it Works) If I were a builder in Austin TX I would purchase the domain name home-builder-austin.com. Why, because once your site is in the search engines if someone were to type in home builder austin, good chance you'll rank #1 for that term. That's why domain names like Cars.com are so valuable. Because they get immediate visibility if someone types in cars or any derivitive of in any of the search engines

I can tell you that over 90% of all
    contractor websites [Mod: really? You thought you could hide this in underline?] end up in internet purgatory never to be found by anyone ! It's why I have a relatively thriving business doing web development for contractors. Having a website that is not set up for search engines is the equivelent of having an ad that's never placed anywhere. It's absolutely crazy ! I have had contractor clients of mine tell me that they didn't need search engine work because they just use the site for existing clients. Well here's something that most don't know. About half the people that use the internet, even if they have the website address will still type it in thier search box (yahoo, MSN, Google) and not the address bar. Doesn't look good when you aren't there. And oh god don't have some long wierd spelling domain name, nobody will ever remember. Nowadays if you want your site listed in just Yahoo they charge about 600 bucks, and it doesn't guarantee you any sort of rankings for anything. So does it make sense that for 19.95 and 9 bucks a month you can host, post and launch a website with domain name to boot. I can tell you that the vast majority of these templated websites never end up listed at all. Take a look around and you'll be hard pressed to find any of those types of websites listed anywhere. Unless you are really technically savvy and have a lot of extra time and money on your hands do yourself a favor and hire a pro.

I usually never ever give away free advice because most of my clients pay me well for it. However being that I have used some of the ideas in this board to help me with my business, I figured it would be nice to give something back

If you'd like to know more about me then check me out at somethinsomethin.com

Thanks
    and Happy Contracting!
    Last edited by cojak; 3 December 2022, 11:39. Reason: Muppet spammer.

OK, who let this one through?

(Oh, and he’d forgotten to lose the cut and paste bit regarding registering - his profile pointed out that he joined in March.)
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Do you have any advice w/r to gladiators or bleeding radiators?

Comment

We’ll never know.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by letexchange View Post
          Though I have never registered for this board before today,...
          ooo. you little liar!

https://forums.contractoruk.com/gene...-question.html
          https://forums.contractoruk.com/busi...questions.html
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Just to let you know....People here, including myself did SEO (Search Engine Optimization), bought links to improve Google page rank etc even before Mobile phone was invented.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
              Just to let you know....People here, including myself did SEO (Search Engine Optimization), bought links to improve Google page rank etc even before Mobile phone was invented.
              Luxury! [/4 Yorkshiremen]

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
                Not quite - I had a mobile phone before even Altavista existed and can remember the day google arrived as I was sat in a London pub with 3 owners of digital marketing agencies

the irony is that someone on here has made their money for the past 15 years tracking back links to help people improve their ratings
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by letexchange View Post
                  If I were a builder in Austin TX I would purchase the domain name home-builder-austin.com. Why, because once your site is in the search engines if someone were to type in home builder austin, good chance you'll rank #1 for that term
                  Great tip, but incompetent-slacker.com was already taken, sadly :-(

Comment

Working...
                  X