• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Convincing Employer of Motives for going Perm

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Convincing Employer of Motives for going Perm

After a long and illustrious contracting career, I'm going to move back to the dark side. Last couple of yers have been tough with too much downtime and I just don't think it's worth it anymore.

So, faced with a CV like mine, any potential hiring manager is rightly going to think this guy's going to jumo ship as soon as the market picks up again.

What sort of things coukd I say to convince him/her otherwise?

It’s a lot easier to convince employers these days. Just say that you’re tired of the hassle of contracting.

Or, depending on your age you could say that your wanting more stability in your life.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

And he wouldn't be far wrong. We've loads of people on here that went perm and have gone in less than a year. To be fair, if you are only going per because of the downtime you are kinda doing what he thinks. If the market does get back to endless end to end gigs it does look like you'll be back.

Just have to make up a story and convince your self of it so you don't slip up in the interview. Make it believable but as close to the truth as you can so hard to get caught out.

Only you'll know based on your circumstances but some examples are.
      If you've a young family tell them you want something stable so you can enjoy the time with the family. Too much travelling and uncertainty in contracting and family comes first now.
      If you are older go for the stability
      If you are neither then again mention travelling, stability, miss being part of a team and growing with the company.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jum In The Morning View Post
        After a long and illustrious contracting career, I'm going to move back to the dark side. Last couple of yers have been tough with too much downtime and I just don't think it's worth it anymore.

So, faced with a CV like mine, any potential hiring manager is rightly going to think this guy's going to jumo ship as soon as the market picks up again.

What sort of things coukd I say to convince him/her otherwise?
        Blame IR35.

Comment

I kept getting this question from recruiters and at interviews when looking at moving back to a perm role in 2020 and 2021 during the peak of Covid.

In my case, I had actively prepared to go perm by working with a career coach and studying for a qualification, both at significant personal expense. It still wasn't enough to convince some hiring managers though.

All you can do is focus on longer term growth and development and stress your breadth of experience if you've worked in multiple sectors, different types of project etc. That's something a lot of perms won't have to the same degree and will be attractive to some companies.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
            I kept getting this question from recruiters and at interviews when looking at moving back to a perm role in 2020 and 2021 during the peak of Covid.

In my case, I had actively prepared to go perm by working with a career coach and studying for a qualification, both at significant personal expense. It still wasn't enough to convince some hiring managers though.

All you can do is focus on longer term growth and development and stress your breadth of experience if you've worked in multiple sectors, different types of project etc. That's something a lot of perms won't have to the same degree and will be attractive to some companies.
            It's a nice thought, but I found that HR mostly only want people already experienced in their own particular industry vertical. Given I worked mainly in Service Management, which is totally unconcerned with what the client actually does for a living, I always found that a bit strange: 20 years of plasterboard manufacturing seen as more beneficial than 20 years across FTSE 100s and public sector clients from finance to policing to the courts system never really made a lot of sense when all you are dealing with are people and process.

Perhaps the best way in is to do the old start-as-a-contractor-and-switch when you've proved you can hack it.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Interesting, as my experience suggests that moving between contract and perm (back and forth) isn't a problem like it was when I started, back then it was pretty much a one way street i.e. you left a perm role to go contracting and there you basically stayed. For me recently (2014) I left a perm role, picked up a number of contracts and then went perm in 2020 without anyone batting an eyelid, then returned to contracting this year and the client has already floated the idea of perm seemingly not worried I might leg it.

Comment

Try to convince them why you want the role, it's all about the role and the company (not the salary etc.,). If the salary is a lot less than you're contracting rates DON'T tell the hirer you are taking a big pay cut to come to this role, even though it may sound to you in your head that it means you're serious - it really does not sound good.

Perhaps tell the hirer you have been following the company for a long time you really like what they do, you want to be part of something new a journey etc.,

A permie employer is now used to even permie's sodding off quickly, just talk to a 'young' person and they will think 'been here a long time' is three years.

It's incredibly tough to get a permy role when you have been a long time contractor as it's also (so I'm told) tough then to settle down somewhere. And let's face it who are you kidding anyway you'll be off back to contract land quicker than they can say 'performance review'

Comment

Originally posted by gables View Post
                  Interesting, as my experience suggests that moving between contract and perm (back and forth) isn't a problem like it was when I started, back then it was pretty much a one way street
                  Possibly but the back and forth is exactly what the recruiter may be expecting hence the OP's problem. Really depends on whether the guy hiring them has been burned or first hand experience of contractors dicking them about. If they have its unlikely any contractor will get the role.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Possibly but the back and forth is exactly what the recruiter may be expecting hence the OP's problem. Really depends on whether the guy hiring them has been burned or first hand experience of contractors dicking them about. If they have its unlikely any contractor will get the role.
                    When I say back and forth I'm not meaning like 6 month perm, 6 month contract, 6 month perm - for me I went perm in 2008 then left in 2014 to contract, took 3 contracts (with healthy breaks) and went perm in 2020 then left this year to contract - no one seemed bothered.

Good point though about being burnt, although I think this would apply to the younger generation who seem to hop around quite happily.

Comment

Working...
                    X