• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Perm vs contract…..another thread!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm happy to give a straight answer - where things are mostly equal, always take the contract role.

Less politics, less faff you shouldn't be interested in, and if its crap, a decent name brand on your CV will open the next door anyway.

I work with permies who are terrified of the idea of being laid off while I finish contracts semi-regularly enjoying nice holidays in-between with the knowledge the market will have me back.

Take. The. Contract.
    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
      I'm happy to give a straight answer - where things are mostly equal, always take the contract role.

Less politics, less faff you shouldn't be interested in, and if its crap, a decent name brand on your CV will open the next door anyway.

I work with permies who are terrified of the idea of being laid off while I finish contracts semi-regularly enjoying nice holidays in-between with the knowledge the market will have me back.

Take. The. Contract.
      Take. The. Contract. provided it is better paying

The question is how to calculate and evaluate which one is better and what numbers match what so that you can always "Take. The. Contract." - For that there is no straight answer although it seems like 550 a day == 100K (whorty last response)

Comment

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
        although it seems like 550 a day == 100K (whorty last response)
        Give it a rest, LPM1.

Comment

...provided it is better paying...
          There's your answer.
          If you are 100% obsessed with money, over life, family, relationships, humanity, learning, politics, religion, philosophy, etc, etc, then take whatever you think is better paying based on your personal circumstances.
          For one person, one daily rate could be the same as a particular annual salary, for someone else it will be different values, because we do not know every person's circumstances or motivation.

And with that, I am publicly giving you a final warning - either you start filling in the blanks yourself of how YOU arrive at YOUR figures, and what YOUR personal circumstances are, or you say goodbye to everyone on here.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Take. The. Contract. provided it is better paying

The question is how to calculate and evaluate which one is better and what numbers match what so that you can always "Take. The. Contract." - For that there is no straight answer although it seems like 550 a day == 100K (whorty last response)
            Why do you keep repeating this question over and over? what do you mean "how?" ffs, day rate vs perm is pretty easy no?

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
              I work with permies who are terrified of the idea of being laid off[...]
              You work with permies who are simply paranoid for no actual reason (as in worried about having to find another job) or genuinely worried because there's already been lay offs?

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post

You work with permies who are simply paranoid for no actual reason (as in worried about having to find another job) or genuinely worried because there's already been lay offs?
                usually the former, but even in cases of the latter… good contractors know to welcome the opportunity of an arrangement coming to a close
                ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Working...
                X