• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Work For startup cons?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GitMaster69 View Post

800$ a day ?
    little bit more than what I said I want and they accepted (to my surprise). According to them it's cheap so maybe the rates are even higher now. I heard it's quite ridiculous there atm from various sources, but I don't know what that ridiculous is

mulling getting some visa and go california with US rates being so high and pound so low
    The parts of California that pay top dollar for developers expect the very best.

On top of that the cost of living is huge in these areas as well.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

The parts of California that pay top dollar for developers expect the very best.

On top of that the cost of living is huge in these areas as well.
      how would you define the very best ?

Comment

The brightest and best educated 20 somethings that are willing to work 20 hours a day 7 days a week.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

The brightest and best educated 20 somethings that are willing to work 20 hours a day 7 days a week.
          I'm not sure if Microserfs is still quite the reference book it once was. These big tech companies are also backed by strong liberal values and now tend to offer great benefits and a lot of flexi/WFH options.
          But you are still expected to 'sell your life' really. When businesses get on-site gyms and basketball courts and have a free gourmet chef service what they are doing is making work someplace you don't want to leave.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

I'm not sure if Microserfs is still quite the reference book it once was. These big tech companies are also backed by strong liberal values and now tend to offer great benefits and a lot of flexi/WFH options.
            But you are still expected to 'sell your life' really. When businesses get on-site gyms and basketball courts and have a free gourmet chef service what they are doing is making work someplace you don't want to leave.
            back in the days I applied to a one of suppliers of Microsoft (think it was bing project then) Long story short they required PHD to be even close to my asking rate.
            ended up never really supplying any large corporation with my services … or doing PHD to earn what I was already making for that matter

Random thought.
            one of my friends worked for some large corpo and got quite a bit of shares in the process. I think he sold them for 100k at some point for working like decade or something. Laughable sum
            Last edited by GitMaster69; 21 October 2022, 10:20.

Comment

$800 a day is about the going rate for a competent but unspectacular Java/C# dev at a bank in London. Someone that knows the language, knows a few frameworks and can close Jiras at an acceptable rate.

Most of these would struggle to get into the likes of Google, Facebook/Meta etc. because they are just not strong enough algorithmically. With a few exceptions these companies are not particularly interested in your prowess in language x, y or z - they expect you to be very strong in solving novel problems rather than reapplying the same patterns over and over agin.
              Last edited by TheDude; 21 October 2022, 13:28.

Comment

So have you had your answer and you are just throwing random thoughts in for attention now or is there still a point to this thread?
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  So have you had your answer and you are just throwing random thoughts in for attention now or is there still a point to this thread?
                  Just because you're not interested in the discussion doesn't mean we're not. Leave the thread rather than turning into another complaints session.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

$800 a day is about the going rate for a competent but unspectacular Java/C# dev at a bank in London. Someone that knows the language, knows a few frameworks and can close Jiras at an acceptable rate.

Most of these would struggle to get into the likes of Google, Facebook/Meta etc. because they are just not strong enough algorithmically. With a few exceptions these companies are not particularly interested in your prowess in language x, y or z - they expect you to be very strong in solving novel problems rather than reapplying the same patterns over and over agin.
                    I haven't seen nearly any outside roles that paid more than 500 despite having huge connections since ir35 reform in 2021
                    I think the rate you mention goes to an agent if and when it's outside

Comment

I haven't seen nearly any outside roles that paid more than 500 despite having huge connections since ir35 reform in 2021
                      I think the rate you mention goes to an agent if and when it's outside
                      Depends on your skill set. For mine outside is £550 to £600 or so but inside is anything from £500 to £850.

And if my calculations are right if you the inside rate covers the Employer NI payments provided you max out your pension payment the difference between inside and outside isn't much different.
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X