• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Looking for a graduate/mid level developer, beat place?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dsc View Post
    Typically young means only a few years of experience / 1-2yrs post uni, so still fairly inexperienced and thus not having huge requirements re salary. If you go with someone in their 40s, you'd assume they have 15yrs+ experience and would most likely want £100k+. I'm guessing a startup won't have a massive budget for "helpers", so you'd naturally go with the former and it has feck all to do with ageism imho.
    You are assuming experience is directly related to age which is a very poor assumption and arguably ageist.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

"Could just afford a contractor but would want them sitting next to me in Harrow, working at least as hard as me."

You offering them 50% shares then?

Comment

You can advertise directly on places like JobServe or Monster without a recruiter (in the same way you can self-advertise a house on RightMove).
        Sadly StackOverflow retired their jobs board or I would say that's the perfect place to find the sort of enthusiastic, idealistic, passionate person willing to put in the long hours and buy in to this sort of opportunity (which isn't meant as a criticism, it's just reality).

The reality is people like this are likely young - it's typical to become more risk-averse over the years and gain more dependencies and cynicism, but you can't assume or advertise on that basis. People are being awkward for the sake of it biting your head off IMO, it's obvious what you mean. Like if you wanted to recruit from a university graduate scheme you know the vast majority will be in their early twenties.

You could look on LinkedIn or even advertise on FaceBook, another idea is to find online communities linked to whatever the business/tech is and post there. I got several years' work off a forum post "looking for a developer who knows X" and have found subcontractors in the same way but this works best when there's a real niche.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I have never used it but this could be worth a look too: https://remoteok.com/?location=UK

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            The reality is people like this are likely young - it's typical to become more risk-averse over the years and gain more dependencies and cynicism, but you can't assume or advertise on that basis. People are being awkward for the sake of it biting your head off IMO, it's obvious what you mean. Like if you wanted to recruit from a university graduate scheme you know the vast majority will be in their early twenties.
            It depends if you're wanting to recruit a young 'un because they're cheap (exploitable, gullible) or because you're willing to shed £££££ to develop them. If it's the development option, I'm entirely onside.

Otherwise, just think, you might get someone old and so financially independence but wanting an oligarch's yacht*, with stacks of experience who's willing to be along for the ride. And a percentage. When I took a punt it was for 1/3 of my normal rate and 15% of profits for five years.

That latter bit meant 15% of the sales price.

* or thinks it's really really cool, let me play. Yes. I am a nerd.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

If you want an expensive solution get cheap people in to do it - [NLUK - 2022]
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Hi, thank you the helpful replies.

There is certainly nothing to do with agism. If it a perfect world, I would love a wise, mature head. Unfortunately these usually come with high salaries and without sounding too negative, an attitude that whereby they are working for just the paycheck.

I want someone who is motivated to learn the new tech on offer and willing to get stuck in i.e. help move the company forward.
                I have asked around and we may potentially have someone that the existing contractor developer has found. He is willing to help them learn the ropes and has indicated that he would also be responsible for them.

Could be an opportunity to get some else onboard and perhaps get a bit more work from the existing developer.

Going to have a meeting tomorrow to see how we can progress from this point.

​​​

Comment

Originally posted by SchumiStars View Post
                  There is certainly nothing to do with agism. If it a perfect world, I would love a wise, mature head. Unfortunately these usually come with high salaries and without sounding too negative, an attitude that whereby they are working for just the paycheck.
                  That's your ageism there. Right there.

Do you understand yet?

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    That's your ageism there. Right there.

Do you understand yet?
                    It's a stereotype that would statistically be right. A bit like "women aren't as physically strong as men" is true in the general sense - it's not sexist to say that but it would be sexist to not give a female applicant to a physical job an equal opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      If you want an expensive solution get cheap people in to do it - [NLUK - 2022]
                      I love how expensive people always say 'you get what you pay for' when you mention they are expensive, but at the same time claim they are better value than the even more expensive people.

Comment

Working...
                      X