• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Looking for a graduate/mid level developer, beat place?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a graduate/mid level developer, beat place?

Looking to recruit a young, mid level developer, would anyone know how I could possibly find one please?

I have a small start-up and would require someone I can work with, that would like to learn and help progress the company.

The obvious answer would be a recuritment company but without a website, office or much else, I can not see it being particular attractive for them.

Alternatively I could pay someone at mid-level and then go from there.

Could just afford a contractor but would want them sitting next to me in Harrow, working at least as hard as me.

Any ideas?

If you're a small startup then I would probably avoid a recruitment agency in the first instance. I was trying to recruit two front end developers in late Spring for a client and spoke to several agencies who were quoting me between 18-30% of salary as a fee. The market has cooled down a bit since then so fees may be a bit lower now. We struggled to find many candidates for less than £50k (a public sector role in London) and ended up taking on 'second jobbers' with a couple of years' experience.

If you can bear to wade through lots of duff applications, advertising it yourself on one of the job boards might be a cheap way to go or ideally, find recommendations or introductions to individuals through your network.

Comment

That's not a bad idea, a second jobber, might actually work for me. If of course they do the work Thx.

Comment

Young. Is that to save money on salary, or just ageism? Best not put it in any advert as you'd be breaking the equality act. Frankly, I'd get the best person I could afford - regardless of age.

The obvious answer would be a recuritment company but without a website, office or much else, I can not see it being particular attractive for them.
        Do you mean "them" as in it wouldn't be interesting for a recruitment company? I don't see why those things would put them off. No chance of repeat business might.

You won't get anyone who will work has hard as you without at least the possibility of reward. Of they have skin in the game.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

There's also this thread, on this very forum - if you're willing to sift through the applications yourself

https://forums.contractoruk.com/busi...rtunities.html

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            Young. Is that to save money on salary, or just ageism? Best not put it in any advert as you'd be breaking the equality act. Frankly, I'd get the best person I could afford - regardless of age.
            This for sure. Startups can be difficult places to work and generally I'd say you don't want a one trick pony that's just doing what they told. Surely it would be worth a little more for someone that's going to bring some experience with them and be part of the growth of the whole company. Someone who can see beyond the code and understand what they are delivering and why and also have teh vision to guide their role to the business needs. If it's all hands on deck to make it work a lesser skilled niche worker isn't going to add to that are they?

Judging by the posts we have on here in the past I'd say it would be possible to get some daft contractor on to work for nothing if you offer them some shares that end up being worthless. Not advocating this route but it certainly seems possible.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

This for sure. Startups can be difficult places to work
              Most job specs I have seen seem to have unrealistic requirements when it comes to experience which leads me to deduce they want a jack of all trades rather than an expert. The money on offer would tend to back up my assumptions.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

Most job specs I have seen seem to have unrealistic requirements when it comes to experience which leads me to deduce they want a jack of all trades rather than an expert. The money on offer would tend to back up my assumptions.
                Absolutely and that's why I've a pretty strong opinion that it's difficult to be outside on these types of gigs as well.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  Young. Is that to save money on salary, or just ageism? Best not put it in any advert as you'd be breaking the equality act. Frankly, I'd get the best person I could afford - regardless of age..
                  Ageism.

There will be older candidates from less traditional backgrounds who will probably be as or more suitable.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Typically young means only a few years of experience / 1-2yrs post uni, so still fairly inexperienced and thus not having huge requirements re salary. If you go with someone in their 40s, you'd assume they have 15yrs+ experience and would most likely want £100k+. I'm guessing a startup won't have a massive budget for "helpers", so you'd naturally go with the former and it has feck all to do with ageism imho.

Comment

Working...
                    X