• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stay Perm or go Contracting?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stay Perm or go Contracting?

Evening,

I’ve been offered a contact @ 700 a day (inside IR35 not using a LTD). I’m currently a perm on 65k. Fairly longterm contract from what I can glean. Am I right in thinking that I should be looking at half of 700 as my take home, so £350ish? Several different IR35 calculators seem to fluctuate quite a bit.

If it was you, Is this gig worth taking based on these numbers?
    Last edited by Move D; 24 September 2022, 20:26.

<mod snip>
    Last edited by WTFH; 24 September 2022, 22:58. Reason: Stop spamming every thread about rates, until you tell us all what you are on.

Comment

Originally posted by Move D View Post
      Evening,

I’ve been offered a contact @ 700 a day (inside IR35 not using a LTD). I’m currently a perm on 65k. Fairly longterm contract from what I can glean. Am I right in thinking that I should be looking at half of 700 as my take home, so £350ish? Several different IR35 calculators seem to fluctuate quite a bit.

If it was you, Is this gig worth taking based on these numbers?
      Expect Around 54% .. you are likely to earn around 7500 for 20 days. But you can allocate about 40k to pension and that will reduce your tax.

Comment

Perhaps take a wider view rather than just pure take home pay.... what's your current skillset and how does £65k perm or £700/day inside compare? How likely are you to be able to withstand a downturn if the recession takes hold? How much do you value the security of a longer term contract? Also, IR35 rules will be changed from April 2023 so that might be a factor for you too.

Comment

https://www.payslipbuddy.co.uk will give you an accurate estimate of what you will pay.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

You won't be earning anything if the gig evaporates before you step foot on site. The gig is only as long as it's notice period as well.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Err role up role up it a Cold Storage Sockie.

Comment

Originally posted by nathanuk View Post

Expect Around 54% .. you are likely to earn around 7500 for 20 days. But you can allocate about 40k to pension and that will reduce your tax.
                Slightly then what i initially expected, good to know. Will factor this is to the decision.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  You won't be earning anything if the gig evaporates before you step foot on site. The gig is only as long as it's notice period as well.
                  Same is true of "permanent" roles.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Incognito View Post

Same is true of "permanent" roles.
                    Same but no way the same level of risk.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X