• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 scrapped ... is this for real?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Slx View Post
    question not sure if related to this post, if you could help

I've been working only on outside contracts in last years, having a monthly salary paid by my limited company continuously (being on a contract or no contract for months)

Now I received an offer on an inside contract on good rate which I am willing to start. Not sure if I will have two employments - one from my limited which is still paying my salary and umbrella. Can I still contracting on my limited while working through umbrella ? I haven't received the contract, still at the offer stage (not willing to accept any restrictions but not sure how the umbrella part works)
    Yes you can work an inside contract alongside other work - provided the inside contract hasn't got any t&cs about not working for anyone else.

My advice would be to try and throw as much as possible of the inside contract into your pension...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Now I received an offer on an inside contract on good rate which I am willing to start. Not sure if I will have two employments - one from my limited which is still paying my salary and umbrella. Can I still contracting on my limited while working through umbrella ? I haven't received the contract, still at the offer stage (not willing to accept any restrictions but not sure how the umbrella part works)
      Firstly you aren't employed by your company. You are a director. That's different. If you were employed you would have to pay yourself NMW, directors are exempt.

Nothing wrong with running your LTD and Umbrella in parallel but I very much doubt you can run an inside and outside concurrently. I am sure some people will be rolling their eyes at me but you need to check the obligations of both contracts. In most cases when this gets asked it's through sheer greed of the contractor and an attempt to double bill on the other clients time just because they are WFH and out of the clients eye. Looking at the inside gig as that is probably the most problematic. It's likely inside because they want you to work 9 to 5 for 5 days a week under direction and control. If you your contract states this, which even outside ones do then you cannot work for the outside client between those times. You are contracted to be available 40 hours a week. It's likely the outside gig has this contracted and expects the same of you. Working two contracts like this is taking the piss and neither client will be happy if they find out.

All that said, IF, and that's a big if when one contract is inside. Neither have set times, both are happy to be flexible on delivery without D&C then sure, you can multi gig to your hearts content. It's arguable that you can bill both, you should be billing for time spent or being a bit lenient with the truth how long it took you to produce a deliverable but that's business. If the expectation is you are fully committed to one gig then doing another is taking the piss.

Quite a few other threads on this and it's off topic for this thread so have a search using the Google search method. In google type <keywords> site:forums.contractoruk.com and either tag on any questions to those or start a new thread if you've more questions.

For full clarity my opinion is a bit black and white and there are others that just say fill your boots but IMO if you are contracted to do a piece of work and you are not fulfilling that contract properly then you shouldn't be doing it.

Enjoy.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 29 September 2022, 12:26.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thank you for your replies, I refused in the past inside roles but now I had a break during summer and looking to get into work asap. if I wait couple of weeks probably I would secure something outside but not many calls lately. beside it's good rate. None of my contracts had 9-5pm state in the papers, mostly 40hr/week but not specific hours. Being inside probably I will get different terms but will pay attention to any exclusive clause which will mean a no-go in the end.
        My salary from ltd has been around 15k/year (or more) not less than NMW. I expect to take inside role for 3 months up to the 50k trashhold or little beyond. No comment on how to deal with 2 cnt in same time/effort just looking for more experienced views on the umbrella part (as i have none).

Comment

Originally posted by Neo

I'm 100% certain you'll 100% disagree with the above regardless. That's just how it is around here. Prove me wrong.
          ...big snip...

I don't, actually. CUK is a shadow of its former self. Perhaps its userbase is much smaller these days so the loudmouths stand out more.

This isn't a workplace though; that 20-odd years was mostly a mix of senior manager and Interim consutancy so I know how to manage stuff - often quite expensive stuff, often with lots of people. That's not what I do here. Nor is Malvolio anything like the real me; for one thing he started as an experiment in creating a whole new persona.

Ask simple questions or hard questions about stuff you don't understand and you get sensible answers.

Ask something that shows you haven't bothered to find out (and 99% has been answered already, with a bit of digging) and youll upset someone.

Every forum suffers from what you see as a toxic environment. CUK is better than most. Take from that what you will.

So can we get back to the real topic now?

Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Thank you for your replies, I refused in the past inside roles but now I had a break during summer and looking to get into work asap. if I wait couple of weeks probably I would secure something outside but not many calls lately. beside it's good rate. None of my contracts had 9-5pm state in the papers, mostly 40hr/week but not specific hours. Being inside probably I will get different terms but will pay attention to any exclusive clause which will mean a no-go in the end.
            My salary from ltd has been around 15k/year (or more) not less than NMW. I expect to take inside role for 3 months up to the 50k trashhold or little beyond. No comment on how to deal with 2 cnt in same time/effort just looking for more experienced views on the umbrella part (as i have none).
            For an umbrella speak to Lucy at Home - Clarity Umbrella Ltd - UK PAYE Umbrella Company

And as I said before you will be taxed a lot if you go via an umbrella so the sane plan is to put as much as possible into a SIPP pension pot.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Are you planning to run the two contracts at the same time? If so, then you are just working for two companies (your Ltd and the umbrella), and getting paid by both. Try to put as much of the umbrella pay into your pension pot.
              There may be implications on your tax code, but that's getting into the details which you should discuss with an accountant and tax advisor.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
              X