• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to phrase "I'm still working and billing on Monday 19th"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Tall Designer View Post

I think your mistake is that you didn't read the question then. I was literally asking for the best way to frame it, not permission.

I hope you are having a lovely Friday.
    My point being if you knew your client well enough you'd know.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Useful. If you know someone well
      enough you don’t have to ask them questions. Well I suppose I can’t say that’s not true….

anyway. You keep having that great Friday.

Comment

Useful. If you know someone well
        enough you don’t have to ask them questions. Well I suppose I can’t say that’s not true….

anyway. You keep having that great Friday.
        If you know someone well enough you know:
        1. What questions to ask
        2. How to ask them

Which is not what you said.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Jesus wept.

keep playing up to the stereotypes guys.

and keep having that Good Friday.

Comment

I'm working today. I sent a message to the person who signs my time sheets with this exact wording:

"Good morning! Hope you're well. I just wanted to let you know that I am intending to work on Monday so it doesn't come as a surprise when you see it on my timesheet next week."

They replied with "Ok, thanks for letting me know"

Comment

Jesus wept.

keep playing up to the stereotypes guys.

and keep having that Good Friday.
              One way to get repeat projects with the same client is to have good communication skills.

This means you need to learn quickly how your client thinks.

I guess you haven't done that.

I haven't worked today. Apart for the fact I can't, if I could I know this client wouldn't be accept it as they are heavy on work-life balance. (Outside IR35)

There as my last client would have expected me to work and be more annoyed I couldn't. (Inside IR35)
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Was planning to make a case for working it but got to the end of last week and fancied a long weekend. I am a bad contractor.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
                  Was planning to make a case for working it but got to the end of last week and fancied a long weekend. I am only human.
                  FTFY
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
                    Was planning to make a case for working it but got to the end of last week and fancied a long weekend. I am a bad contractor.
                    Would your client bat an eyelid if you messaged them on a normal Friday, "I won't be in Monday" out of interest? I think mine wouldn't - that might be a different discussion how people work. Reckon I normally give 'notice' about equal to the time I'll be away, if I'm off for a week I'll tell them a week in advance, etc.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Would your client bat an eyelid if you messaged them on a normal Friday, "I won't be in Monday" out of interest? I think mine wouldn't - that might be a different discussion how people work. Reckon I normally give 'notice' about equal to the time I'll be away, if I'm off for a week I'll tell them a week in advance, etc.
                      Depends for me. I'm working on a very large project with multiple stages so over the year we've got some very key dates. Requests go round for advance abscence notice regularly. Most of the time the above would work no problems but around key deployment dates there will be a lot of sucking of teeth. No one has ever had time refused but I do think most people have considered the dates when taking time off that could be done later within reason.

I'm considering a week off in line with term times in Oct and that's going to go down like a lead balloon due to a Nov go live. I don't think for one minute they will refuse it but to avoid any gnashing and wailing I've already advised I'll be unavailable and I'm already planning how things will work if I'm off. Giving a weeks notice for that time off won't cut it.

Yes I'm outside and yes there is sod all they can do if I tell them I'll be unavailable so it's gauranteed I'll be off, just making it as smooth as possible due to the key date. I could also provide them with a sub but for a week at that stage will be nigh on useless. Just got to play the game with the client, keep them happy and I'm sure all will be fine.
                      Last edited by northernladuk; 20 September 2022, 13:45.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X