• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to phrase "I'm still working and billing on Monday 19th"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to phrase "I'm still working and billing on Monday 19th"

Morning everyone.
    I'm on a fully remote, outside IR35 contract as a Service Designer, I have more than enough work I can do on Monday without the rest of the team being in, in fact I'd welcome a chance to assimilate the background research on the job. However of course the company is off for the day, most people there are perms, about 20% contract.

I know I can just say I'm working, I also know they can say 'no you're not" so looking for the best way to phrase and describe what I'm doing. And also if anyone is in the same boat!

Cheers

You’re outside IR35. So do what you want.
    might be worth a courtesy conversation with whoever signs your timesheets to save a more difficult conversation afterwards.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

You've answered your own question in the title.

Not every business is closing down for the day.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I'm going to have a very similar conversation with my client today too. It's helpful to mention it so that there aren't questions asked at time sheet sign off time.

I quite often work bank holidays, with my argument to clients being that I prefer to take time off when it suits me rather than in the middle of a project. Some outright refuse to pay for bank holiday working so then I move all due dates to the right.

Comment

I'm working. I'm not going to tell them. I'm going to bill them. There is zero chance they don't pay. The purchase order for the quarter is all that matters.

I should add I don't do timesheets.

Comment

Seems like a slightly odd conversation. For T&M, I work the hours I choose (other than meetings, of course) and bill the client, typically up to a ceiling number of hours agreed on the contract, no conversations about days of week or times of day. I don’t have timesheets “signed off” as such - I guess they are “signed off” when the invoice is paid.

Comment

This is something that comes up regularly where payment is dependent on a signed time sheet. It's been a common challenge for years with clients thinking that paying for bank holidays costs them more.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                This is something that comes up regularly where payment is dependent on a signed time sheet. It's been a common challenge for years with clients thinking that paying for bank holidays costs them more.
                I suppose it comes down to what the contract says, but I've personally never had a T&M contract that mandated working days or hours, just a cap on hours billed.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

I suppose it comes down to what the contract says, but I've personally never had a T&M contract that mandated working days or hours, just a cap on hours billed.
                  My contracts have never defined the days but they all require a signed timesheet which, if the client refuses to sign off a bank holiday, amounts to the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

My contracts have never defined the days but they all require a signed timesheet which, if the client refuses to sign off a bank holiday, amounts to the same thing.
                    I see. I guess that provides the client, or a representative of the client, with arbitrary leverage. I mean, unless the circumstances under which it won't be "signed off" are clearly defined in the contract.

Comment

Working...
                    X