• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to phrase "I'm still working and billing on Monday 19th"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was told yesterday I can bill for the 19th but don't have to work that day.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Oh, is that a reference to current events or were you at a global pharma a good number of years ago where a contractor did this?
      A reference to current events but I would be interested to hear your story.

Comment

Has the client told you already not to work? Mine has not actually sent an all-staff email yet formally saying they are closing.

I have worked BH before for similar reasons mentioned above - I'm remote and it's actually nice to have nobody else using test systems, bothering me.
        The best situation is that you work with your client - tell them you would much rather work and that it will be a good chance to get things done.
        Trying to sneak it through knowing they will likely challenge you on it doesn't sound a good idea to me.

What republic have you signed up for? You're an Irish citizen? Companies typically have lots of non-Brits working; this isn't about "your queen" but "the country's queen".
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by The Tall Designer View Post

I've never worked a bank holiday here, I've only been on the gig 3 weeks and it's only an initial 12 weeks anyway.

I have already had some beef with the finance department around getting paid on the days and cycle I signed up for, I don't want to kick off if they flat out say no, but it would make me more likely to leave if another job came up as I'd feel undervalued and over controlled.

Huge thanks for advice so far and anything else you can share with me!
          In the circumstances you describe, I'd be thinking about what's in my best longer term interests ... are you likely to seek or be offered an extension? If so, I think I'd be 'low profile' on this and enjoy a day off.

One day's fees looks quite small when on the bench for a couple of weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post
            I was told yesterday I can bill for the 19th but don't have to work that day.
            I guess you are inside IR35 then?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I guess you are inside IR35 then?
              Agency PAYE.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback everyone, forgot to check the notify option !

So why do I want to work the day... honestly without offending anyone, The Queen was not my Queen and I'm a signed up member of Republic, everyone else of course feel free to do what you need to do, I don't like being obliged to take a day off I won't get paid for. More to the point I have a very large mortgage and a days pay goes quite a long way to helping with that!

Could I just work the day and bill without saying anything to anyone? Yeah I suppose I could but it's a small firm of 25 odd people, they'd notice and I would not want to get on the wrong side of anyone.

Can I work without the rest of the team? Yes, there is research to be sifted through and affinity mapping to do around that so I'd appreciate a day to do it un interrupted.

Do I have time sheets? Yes, I have no idea why, legacy I suppose. They are monthly, I invoice weekly on a 30 day period. Another weird thing.

I've never worked a bank holiday here, I've only been on the gig 3 weeks and it's only an initial 12 weeks anyway.

I have already had some beef with the finance department around getting paid on the days and cycle I signed up for, I don't want to kick off if they flat out say no, but it would make me more likely to leave if another job came up as I'd feel undervalued and over controlled.

Huge thanks for advice so far and anything else you can share with me!
                So reading all that I'd say you've absolutely no choice but to speak to the client and negotiate. Forget the bit about it being the Queen, that's irrelevant. It's a bank holiday so assume normal bank holiday rules apply so no different to any other one. If you've never worked them before then you have to approach it with that thinking and negotiate the ability to work and bill for this one as an exception.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

A reference to current events but I would be interested to hear your story.
                  We had a lead architect who was one of those cock sure guys that had been there that long he knew everything and was the one single point of failure despite being a contractor. Loud, pretty arrogant, thinks he's unreplaceable and rules didn't apply to him. I've not worked at a single client where there hasn't been one of these types. I'm sure you've seen them.

Office was in the same building as the management suite with the top guys in plus other visiting important people but despite a business casual mandate he was always in dress down. What is business casual? Always a grey area but no football or sports gear is called out. Period. Despite that he turns up on a big corporate event day, which had been communicated and everyone asked to be on best behaviour, in a football shirt. Next day, no lead architect

Thought you'd been privvy to that when you mentioned a football shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Has the client told you already not to work?
                    No actually, I think its an assumption

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    What republic have you signed up for? You're an Irish citizen? Companies typically have lots of non-Brits working; this isn't about "your queen" but "the country's queen".
                    https://www.republic.org.uk

Comment

No actually, I think its an assumption

https://www.republic.org.uk
                      Many bank holidays are religious and not everyone is signed up to that religion. You have to get over yourself and do business with a client that is operating to a national bank holiday whatever the event.

Comment

Working...
                      X