• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to phrase "I'm still working and billing on Monday 19th"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with people that bank holidays shouldn't affect our delivery, particularly one called at such short notice but I don't agree with just work it and the client will find out when the invoice goes in. Personally I would be making the client aware of my intentions just out of professional courtesy and to avoid any potential issues when the invoice goes in. If a client is aware then everything should flow smoothly. Even if they are OK with it the surprise of seeing the day billed can raise questions where there really aren't any if you get me. Shouldn't need to contractually but professional courtesy could help here.

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I inform clients as a courtesy and they will in turn advise if they will refuse to pay for the time on the arbitrary basis that it's a public holiday. You only need to have the conversation once as that then sets the tone for all public holidays.

It's annoying and shouldn't be necessary but, for the sake of a 5 minute chat, it's worth clearing up ahead of time rather than arguing over afterwards.

Some clients, that have international teams or operate all day every day, will be fine. Others that are very UK centric, think differently.

Comment

Just take the day off and don't bill them, perhaps?

This sort of stuff is why contractors get a bad rep; trying to bill for every day possible.

It's one exceptional public holiday, let's not pretend that it's crucial to the project and you're doing the client a favour.

Comment

Provided that I have work to do I always work bank holidays, preferring to take time out when it suits me, and this one will be no different.

I doubt that anyone will even notice the time on the invoice ...

I should add that my clients run 24x7 operations.
          Last edited by Protagoras; 14 September 2022, 09:55.

Comment

Originally posted by Protagoras View Post
            Provided that I have work to do I always work bank holidays, preferring to take time out when it suits me, and this one will be no different.

I doubt that anyone will even notice the time on the invoice ...

I should add that my clients run 24x7 operations.
            ^^this.

It's not about billing for every day possible, its about exercising flexibility about when you choose to work.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              I don't agree with just work it and the client will find out when the invoice goes in.
              Put differently, once you've accepted a particular set of T&Cs, then you're stuck with them.

Comment

Just wear a Liverpool shirt to work and they will get the message

Comment

I would look at what arrangements/understanding has been for previous bank holidays as a starting point, and absolutely give prior notice of intention. And not kick up a fuss if declined.

Also depends on the work of course, if you're a one man band coding a website it means something different to if you're one of many contractors working on a thing in conjunction with client etc
                  ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post
                    Just wear a Liverpool shirt to work and they will get the message
                    Oh, is that a reference to current events or were you at a global pharma a good number of years ago where a contractor did this?
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the feedback everyone, forgot to check the notify option !

So why do I want to work the day... honestly without offending anyone, The Queen was not my Queen and I'm a signed up member of Republic, everyone else of course feel free to do what you need to do, I don't like being obliged to take a day off I won't get paid for. More to the point I have a very large mortgage and a days pay goes quite a long way to helping with that!

Could I just work the day and bill without saying anything to anyone? Yeah I suppose I could but it's a small firm of 25 odd people, they'd notice and I would not want to get on the wrong side of anyone.

Can I work without the rest of the team? Yes, there is research to be sifted through and affinity mapping to do around that so I'd appreciate a day to do it un interrupted.

Do I have time sheets? Yes, I have no idea why, legacy I suppose. They are monthly, I invoice weekly on a 30 day period. Another weird thing.

I've never worked a bank holiday here, I've only been on the gig 3 weeks and it's only an initial 12 weeks anyway.

I have already had some beef with the finance department around getting paid on the days and cycle I signed up for, I don't want to kick off if they flat out say no, but it would make me more likely to leave if another job came up as I'd feel undervalued and over controlled.

Huge thanks for advice so far and anything else you can share with me!

Comment

Working...
                      X