• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Liz Truss &IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Liz Truss &IR35

Read an article in one of my journals if Liz Truss gets as PM she’ll review IR35 as part of aiding small business...

“Liz Truss says something to attempt to get votes”

I’ve seen kites hold a straighter course than her. Many of her backers are hoping she will get into power and be just as malleable.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

There are £70bn reasons why ir35 won’t change no matter what politicians promise
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Liz Truss says a lot of things, although she does seem rot be instinctively low tax so there might be something in it.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
          Liz Truss says a lot of things, although she does seem rot be instinctively low tax so there might be something in it.
          As long as HMT is listening to HMRC's totally wrong impact assessments, and HMT itself sticks to the "you're an employer or an employee" mantra, nothing tis going to change.

The £70bn that Eek is on about doesn't actually exist. It's the difference between the tax owed by genuine independents and the tax owed by those businesses being taxed as employees. Nevertheless, it is ingrained in HMT's figures, and HMG are too undereducated to challenge it.

Don't ever assume a politician is intelligent and well-informed and capable of making rational decisions. They aren't.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Well, predictions for the Treasury team are Kwarteng, JRM and John Redwood. If reform doesn’t happen under them, it will probably never happen. Hint: it will probably never happen. I hope to be shocked

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

As long as HMT is listening to HMRC's totally wrong impact assessments, and HMT itself sticks to the "you're an employer or an employee" mantra, nothing tis going to change.

The £70bn that Eek is on about doesn't actually exist. It's the difference between the tax owed by genuine independents and the tax owed by those businesses being taxed as employees. Nevertheless, it is ingrained in HMT's figures, and HMG are too undereducated to challenge it.

Don't ever assume a politician is intelligent and well-informed and capable of making rational decisions. They aren't.
              Nope it’s employer NI

Make employing people outside of PAYE possible and that figure drops - HMRC can’t risk that and other departments are petrified that changing employment law (to merge employment tax law with employment law) will create a whole set of different issues and seriously eat in to the £70bn
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Nope it’s employer NI

Make employing people outside of PAYE possible and that figure drops - HMRC can’t risk that and other departments are petrified that changing employment law (to merge employment tax law with employment law) will create a whole set of different issues and seriously eat in to the £70bn
                Well yes, I totally agree that it's NICs gone walkies, but it's still money that isn't owed, It's been created by preventing a valuable section of the workforce operating in a tax efficient manner. And that has been permissible for a very long time, including gaining approval in Parliament by the chancellor of the day.

Come to that I paid ErNICs, EeNICs and PAYE throughout my freelance career - no more than I had to, but still generated more tax than my permie co-workers every year (and not counting VAT, which is a little more debateable).

I know IR35 isn't going away, and I fully understand its history and the reasons why (better than most, I suspect, after 20-odd years of campaigning), but that doesn't make it right or defensible. It is a bad law, sloppily framed and created for the wrong reasons by HMT selling an idea to an incompetent Chancellor, having failed to get it past various previous incumbents.

If Truss turns out to be Maggie Mk 2 and drives through a sudden lurch back to core small-c conservative economic policy then there may be a chance. But I'm not betting anything on that happening.
                Last edited by malvolio; 29 August 2022, 13:01.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Zero chance if Sunak gets in, think there is a slim chance with the people being mooted for Treasury jobs...now or never!

Comment

It won't be overturned or changed. It's actually been quite a success and has done what it needed to, so it'd be stupid to change things.

I hope it doesn't as well because it's really thinned the herd of permietractors.

Comment

Working...
                    X