• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should I continue on unpaid leave or end it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I continue on unpaid leave or end it?

Through XYZ umbrella company and ABC recruiter I was working for EFG company.
    EFG company did not renew the contract after the contract period. So, after the contract, I left the UK and now planning to pick up a permanent role for sometime in the home country. I may return back to UK in an year again for my next job.
    Meanwhile, I had agreed with the XYZ umbrella company to be on unpaid leave.

I have received this email from XYZ umbrella company:

....So we placed you on unpaid leave a little while ago, and just wanted to check in and see if there is any sign of a new assignment for you yet, and if not, to confirm that you are still ok to be left on unpaid leave or alternatively to see if you are now looking to leave our employment?
    If you are happy to remain on unpaid leave then simply let us know or if you do wish for us to issue a P45 to you, then we would ask that you complete a notice letter, so that we can arrange for it to be issued to you....
    I am not searching for my next job in full swing yet so it may take couple of months before I pick up my next job.

I am not sure what would be best course of action in my situation. I will ask umbrella company but just wanted suggestions from the experts here.
    • Is it ok to continue with unpaid leave in UK indefinitely while I am physically in home country and working as a permie in that country?
    • Or, it is better to issue the notice and end the umbrella company employment for now. So, when I get back to UK next time, I will start over again with my next job?
    Many thanks for the kind help.

unpaid leave????

You mean they have you on the books and you're not being paid.
    Just get your P45. If you need another umbrella they are easy enough to find. I cannot fathom for the life of me why you'd stay on their books.
    Unless XYZ are racking up fees that you'll owe them...
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      unpaid leave????

You mean they have you on the books and you're not being paid.
      Just get your P45. If you need another umbrella they are easy enough to find. I cannot fathom for the life of me why you'd stay on their books.
      Unless XYZ are racking up fees that you'll owe them...
      Any fees would be far less than the Holiday pay due based on the Brazel v Harpur Trust judgement - my surprise is that they haven't tried to make you redundant immediately.

But personally you can leave the umbrella at any time and join a new one when you get another contract.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by stit View Post
        So, after the contract, I left the UK and now planning to pick up a permanent role for sometime in the home country.
        OK, so you're not currently in the UK and you are looking for a job in the country you are located in

I am not searching for my next job in full swing yet so it may take couple of months before I pick up my next job.
        Which is it? Are you looking for a permanent job in one country, or a contract in another?

If your UK taxes are all paid up to date, then I would suggest that you advise the umbrella that you are no longer in the UK and can be taken off their books. They will then issue you a P45 which may make starting a future contract in the UK easier as you will not be tied to them any more.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

OK, so you're not currently in the UK and you are looking for a job in the country you are located in

Which is it? Are you looking for a permanent job in one country, or a contract in another?

If your UK taxes are all paid up to date, then I would suggest that you advise the umbrella that you are no longer in the UK and can be taken off their books. They will then issue you a P45 which may make starting a future contract in the UK easier as you will not be tied to them any more.
          A p45 would really make very, very little difference..

what I don’t get is why the umbrella hasn’t already removed the OP - to me (who understands that industry probably as much as anyone else) that makes little sense
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            what I don’t get is why the umbrella hasn’t already removed the OP - to me (who understands that industry probably as much as anyone else) that makes little sense
            I suspect there may be a few salient parts of the story missing. (I would say that you understand that industry better than most)
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

I am in Asia. I was told I just need to give one week notice before leaving them.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Any fees would be far less than the Holiday pay due based on the Brazel v Harpur Trust judgement - my surprise is that they haven't tried to make you redundant immediately.

But personally you can leave the umbrella at any time and join a new one when you get another contract.
                I am not sure about the fees. But, I have seen some money credited to my account few times after my contract ended. I guess this is part of my contract income held with them.

Comment

I am not sure about the fees. But, I have seen some money credited to my account few times after my contract ended. I guess this is part of my contract income held with them.
                  This is your income so don't guess. Sort it. If it's wrong it's gonna cost you.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X