• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How do you deal with "it's a remote contact but... we expect everyone in the office"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To come back to the original question

How do you deal with "it's a remote contact but... we expect everyone in the office"
    Either walk away, or give great interview then say that that's how you work - and/or request for the autonomy to determine your working location to go into your contract.

I've done this before, and it's been fine other than causing the odd bit of recreational outrage from the 'crabs in a bucket' types.
    Last edited by PerfectStorm; 25 August 2022, 11:02.
    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post

Either walk away, or give great interview then say that that's how you work - and/or request for the autonomy to determine your working location to go into your contract.

I've done this before, and it's been fine other than causing the odd bit of recreational outrage from the 'crabs in a bucket' types.
      This. It's not hard but looking at the OP's posts he appears to be a bit too self entitled to work it out. He's expecting everything from the client and can't understand why they won't give him it so I think his over judgement is clouding his ability to deal with a fairly simple situation.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Isn't the requirement to be in the office constantly kind of Direction and Control? I get that if you are needed to talk to clients etc. then fine, if the tech set up is so that you cannot get access from outside - also fine, but just to be there, bum in seat?

I'm sure that if you have some truly niche skills, then if you say "feck off, I'm fully remote", then you will be. If there's a long line of others to replace you, tough luck.

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post

Isn't the requirement to be in the office constantly kind of Direction and Control? I get that if you are needed to talk to clients etc. then fine, if the tech set up is so that you cannot get access from outside - also fine, but just to be there, bum in seat?

I'm sure that if you have some truly niche skills, then if you say "feck off, I'm fully remote", then you will be. If there's a long line of others to replace you, tough luck.
          Not at all. It's more about professional courtesy and effective delivery. It's around the terms you are engaged on, not being told how or what to do in contract.

Also there is the argument that everyone working for the client would be on the same terms so similar to Health and Safety so doesn't differentiate a perm or supplier.

A brief summary of SDC is

For supervision to apply there must be someone overseeing another person doing the work to ensure that they are actually doing it and that the work is being done correctly to the required standard. Supervision can also involve aiding or assisting someone to develop their skills and knowledge.

Direction involves someone making another person do their work in a certain way, generally by providing instructions, guidance and advice as to how the work is to be done. Someone providing direction will often coordinate how the work is done as it is being undertaken.

Control is where you have someone dictating what work a person does and how they should go about doing that. This also includes the power to move the worker from task to task as priorities change.
          Agreeing working practices and location is none of the above.

Comment

On my QDOS reviews and indeed the CEST tool, having my own unilateral choice of where to work has indeed counted in my favour. In both cases, it's listed under the Supervision, Direction and Control banner.
            ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

On my QDOS reviews and indeed the CEST tool, having my own unilateral choice of where to work has indeed counted in my favour. In both cases, it's listed under the Supervision, Direction and Control banner.
              Possibly but it doesn't mean we have carte blanche to tell the client to bugger off when they need eyes on you for meetings, standups etc. None of us would have ever been outside ever if that was a factor. A flag at worst.

If you get a large consultancy in to supply desktop support and you stipulate it has to be done on site does that mean their contracts are inside? No. It's a business agreement made as part of the delivery of that service.

Now if you commence work and they start telling you on a day by day basis and you've no choice then yes that's above and beyond the contractual agreement and could be seen as controlling your work but as a supplier to a client professional courtesy to deliver to suit your client goes a long way.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post

I did try that. It did not work.

If the contract was advertised as "remote" but at interview stage the client mumbled that everyone is expected in the office I would interrupt them and I'd clearly say I do not intend to go to the office ever. This should end the interview pretty quickly.

I remember I had a contract role and in the beginning the agency said its a remote role. A little down the line, I remember seeing a couple of emails saying two days in the office... I was confused , but I didn't say anything as I didn't want to ruffle the position in all honesty (But I wanted to work from home)

Comment

Working...
                X