• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Problem in deployment to France for temporary work.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem in deployment to France for temporary work.

Hello,

I am working in UK under an umbrella company and as part of my job, i have to travel to France to work for 6 months to 1 year and come back to continue working in UK. Client will be sending me to their French site.

My hiring agency and umbrella company have pointed out few bottlenecks. Firstly, umbrella company said they won't support me in France for duration more than 183 days since I will be subjected to pay tax in France hence they have no way to process any payment.

On the other hand, my hiring agency in UK said I can't be deployed to France as a contractor due to complications in tax issues ( double taxation) and national insurance. I have right to work in Eu however they claimed this is due to the consequences of brexit.

I can only work there if I leave the current hiring agency and start contracting in France and pay French tax and French NI hence I won't be paying any national insurance or tax in UK until I come back to uk at the end of the project's overseas segment.

Hiring agency also stated that this situation is applicable for all contractors, regardless working under umbrella company or as Ltd company, which sounds like no contractors will be sent abroad to work for temporary duration.

Has anyone had any similar experience and what has been done?

Thanks

Easiest thing is you find a contract that doesn't require you to go to France.

Comment

Do you have the right to work in France? If you don't have a EU passport you don't
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
        Easiest thing is you find a contract that doesn't require you to go to France.
        or work as an employee of the client.
        The client has dropped the ball a bit here. If they need someone to work in EU and Uk then they should deal with it themselves as UK umbrellas aren't interested.

Or the OP tries to switch it to outside IR35 and do it themselves.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          Do you have the right to work in France? If you don't have a EU passport you don't
          OP says they do have a right to work.

And on a pedantic note, you don't need an EU passport to work in the EU. A Schengen country's ID card will do (other IDs may also be valid)
          /pedant
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

OP says they do have a right to work.

And on a pedantic note, you don't need an EU passport to work in the EU. A Schengen country's ID card will do (other IDs may also be valid)
            /pedant
            Missed that hidden nugget..

Comment

Originally posted by aeroeng View Post
              Hello,

I am working in UK under an umbrella company and as part of my job, i have to travel to France to work for 6 months to 1 year and come back to continue working in UK. Client will be sending me to their French site.
              Are you a UK citizen, resident in the UK?

Is the umbrella company based in the UK?
              Is your client based in the UK?
              When you would be working in France, would the client be billing from the UK or from France?

My hiring agency and umbrella company have pointed out few bottlenecks. Firstly, umbrella company said they won't support me in France for duration more than 183 days since I will be subjected to pay tax in France hence they have no way to process any payment.

On the other hand, my hiring agency in UK said I can't be deployed to France as a contractor due to complications in tax issues ( double taxation) and national insurance. I have right to work in Eu however they claimed this is due to the consequences of brexit.
              National Insurance, you could pay separately yourself, if that is the only issue.

Hiring agency also stated that this situation is applicable for all contractors, regardless working under umbrella company or as Ltd company, which sounds like no contractors will be sent abroad to work for temporary duration.
              Contractors can be sent abroad (EU or anywhere else) for temporary trips, visas can be organised for them if required. Part of your issue is the duration of your trip.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

or work as an employee of the client.
                The client has dropped the ball a bit here. If they need someone to work in EU and Uk then they should deal with it themselves as UK umbrellas aren't interested.

Or the OP tries to switch it to outside IR35 and do it themselves.
                Client hasn't said anything yet
                They told me talk to my hiring agency if they will prepare a detached duty contract.

There are European umbrellas which I can enroll, but I think my hiring agency doesn't want to go through that route. They say being employed in France can be risky for me, for them and for client.

​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Are you a UK citizen, resident in the UK?

Is the umbrella company based in the UK?
                  Is your client based in the UK?
                  When you would be working in France, would the client be billing from the UK or from France?

National Insurance, you could pay separately yourself, if that is the only issue.

Contractors can be sent abroad (EU or anywhere else) for temporary trips, visas can be organised for them if required. Part of your issue is the duration of your trip.
                  Yes I am a resident in UK. I am Not UK citizen, EU citizen.

Umbrella and client are based in UK.

Client said everybody will be paid from UK in GBP.

My hiring agency said duration of my visit makes my situation more difficult but problem is not mainly due to the length of my visit.

I am quite surprised that this deployment has been a problem since I was able to work 2-3 weeks in France back in 2021, and 6 months in 2019-2020 but now they said a solution should be implemented from day one, not after 183 days. ( in terms of French tax)

Comment

It's the sort of thing that Sue B is the expert for....

Comment

Working...
                    X