• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Referral Marketing and Referral Networks.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Referral Marketing and Referral Networks.

Following a request in this thread, I decided to try and put the first draft together of a presentation on referral marketing and referral networks.
    I often try and attempt intellectual things when I am in a lot of pain to try and divert my brain away from the pain. I, therefore, apologise now for any grammatical mistakes and typos.
    I am happy to answer questions and take feedback.

Former IPSE member
    My Website

Many thanks courtg9000, I’ll sticky it.

(And I hope you feel better soon).
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      Many thanks courtg9000, I’ll sticky it.

(And I hope you feel better soon).
      Thanks. The pain has gone for now, it will probably be back later!
      Former IPSE member
      My Website

Comment

Thanks for that - I agree that giving some kind of discount is better than a physical/cash reward (i.e. a benefit to the company rather than the individual). My main concern would be staying on the right side of the Bribery Act:
        Bribery Act 2010 guidance - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Just to clarify something, you said that you'd give client A a bunch of referral codes, then wait for them all to get used. What happens if only 1 or 2 get used? It seems a bit harsh to penalise client A for decisions that other people have made, and it would be a disincentive for them. On the other hand, if you offer (say) 1 day of free consulting per code then that could get quite expensive when all 5 are used.

Comment

Originally posted by hobnob View Post
          Thanks for that - I agree that giving some kind of discount is better than a physical/cash reward (i.e. a benefit to the company rather than the individual). My main concern would be staying on the right side of the Bribery Act:
          Bribery Act 2010 guidance - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Just to clarify something, you said that you'd give client A a bunch of referral codes, then wait for them all to get used. What happens if only 1 or 2 get used? It seems a bit harsh to penalise client A for decisions that other people have made, and it would be a disincentive for them. On the other hand, if you offer (say) 1 day of free consulting per code then that could get quite expensive when all 5 are used.
          It is on the right side of the act. The thing to remember is that this is mainly for smaller clients. You wouldn't use this with the large outsourcers, consultancies or banks for example.

As for the second paragraph. Doing it this way encourages Client A to stay close to the deal. It also means that Client A will select leads they reasonably believes will seal the deal. Its in client A's interest for this to work.
          Former IPSE member
          My Website

Comment

Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post
            Following a request in this thread, I decided to try and put the first draft together of a presentation on referral marketing and referral networks.
            I often try and attempt intellectual things when I am in a lot of pain to try and divert my brain away from the pain. I, therefore, apologise now for any grammatical mistakes and typos.
            I am happy to answer questions and take feedback.

That's an interesting approach. I think it could work in my line of business (database development), but the question I have in my own mind is the extent to which prospective new clients will value a single day of time/consultancy. The impression I get is that unless it is a very small client, clients tend to be interested only in contractors who can commit to weeks, or months. This could put a limit on the effectiveness of the vouchers as an incentive to refer other clients.
            I might be wrong though, and it has to be worth a try.
            Thanks for making and posting the video.

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post

That's an interesting approach. I think it could work in my line of business (database development), but the question I have in my own mind is the extent to which prospective new clients will value a single day of time/consultancy. The impression I get is that unless it is a very small client, clients tend to be interested only in contractors who can commit to weeks, or months. This could put a limit on the effectiveness of the vouchers as an incentive to refer other clients.
              I might be wrong though, and it has to be worth a try.
              Thanks for making and posting the video.
              This is for use with smaller clients and in a multiple client scenario. Its definitely not going to work on a 6 month standard contract at say a bank. For the sort of work you were after in the other thread, it will be fine.
              Former IPSE member
              My Website

Comment

Working...
              X