• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working with UI Designers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lance View Post

Also THIS ^^^^^^^^^

I can tell you now I am only pointing put that simple task is not a simple task and I have often seen this reaction in designers. See my post immediately above this one please.

Comment

Spiky characters are not unusual in technology.

There seems to be a strong correlation between rude people who believe their opinion is always correct and people who drastically overestimate their own intelligence and skills.
      Last edited by TheDude; 28 June 2022, 11:20.

Comment

Originally posted by Baddish View Post
        And when I do this the desinger woman is becoming very rude and obstreperous I can tell you.
        Assuming you aren't a sockie (the jury is out on that one), it is becoming increasingly obvious that the problem is you. You are a poor communicator (not just your terrible English), you show a lack of attention to detail (your spelling and grammar is appalling) and you are starting to sound like a bit of a misogynist too. Do you always get upset by uppity women telling you what's what?

Comment

Also I don't see the problem - so they want to change something.

You work out how long it's going to take to make the change correctly, add an explanation as to why it's so many days and pass it up to the PM / Product Owner / whoever to make a decision...

What you don't do is argue the point with the designer as neither of you are in a position to make the final decision.
          Last edited by eek; 28 June 2022, 11:34.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

Assuming you aren't a sockie (the jury is out on that one), it is becoming increasingly obvious that the problem is you. You are a poor communicator (not just your terrible English), you show a lack of attention to detail (your spelling and grammar is appalling) and you are starting to sound like a bit of a misogynist too. Do you always get upset by uppity women telling you what's what?
            English is not my first language as I have alaready made clear elsewhere. Your other accusations about women are imagined.

Comment

I am working with a very difficult designer who is trying to redesign the UI of the site my team is working on with no consideration or understanding of the technical obstacles we need to overcome in order to do do it. She is also very rude. Is this common feature of designers in general? I can tell you I am running out of energy constantly explaining why moving that horizontal line from there to there isn't an easy task with our componentised CSS but she is acting like she has the final words on this with no understanding of the technical issues. Has anyone else been in this situation?
              Get the Pheonix Project and read it again and read it again until you understand that "the business" (any business) values efficiency, throughput and sales (and also potential cost savings).

I will throw a spanner into your technical framework: accessibility (is it an issue? Perhaps it is. Just look at poor UI/UX designs on many Electronic Program Guides on some set top TV boxes or even how smart TV are designed. i.e. The fonts are too small for age group that are aging with population. The text foreground blends to background, because of the contrast lacks distinction. The worse EDG have very poor colour gradients. Oh it does look sexy under Sky/NOW and then there is awful Freeview Play red/orange - this is hardware /firmware design and deploymentt. With the Web and CSS, be freaking thankful that you can change it with a new deployment of code to a server. Sorry about my mini rant there)

The only way you will know if SHE (in this environment) is a bad and "rude" designer is by getting another quality designer to come in, so very good luck with that.

Many good designers will save the business quality and design issues ahead of time / time-to-market.
              That 6 months of UX testing with real users will save millions of ££$$$
              The few designers out there with work engagement diaries stretching deep in 2023/2024 (I wish I could've got that excellent as software engineer designer in cloud computing) will make their clients millions £££$$$ because they are respected and trusted.

So maybe change your attitude, just a little.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

You work out how long it's going to take to make the change correctly add an explanation as to why it's so many days and pass it up to the PM / Product Owner / whoever to make a decision...
                If anything the OP should welcome and encourage change and more dev effort because it will keep him in work for longer.

Instead he chooses to stump his feet and complain like a little baby because he can't be arsed doing the work he's paid to do.

Comment

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post

Get the Pheonix Project and read it again and read it again until you understand that "the business" (any business) values efficiency, throughput and sales (and also potential cost savings).

Phoenix.....
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

English is not my first language as I have alaready made clear elsewhere. Your other accusations about women are imagined.
                    They probably aren't imagined but, either way, you have a bad attitude and poor communication skills, as far as I can tell. I would like to see the parallel thread to this where the experienced UI designer ask about how to deal with a problematic dev who doesn't want to (or cannot) do their job properly.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

They probably aren't imagined but, either way, you have a bad attitude and poor communication skills, as far as I can tell. I would like to see the parallel thread to this where the experienced UI designer ask about how to deal with a problematic dev who doesn't want to (or cannot) do their job properly.
                      Yes, you see an Asian man who doesn't have English as his first language and becuase I refer to somebody as woman (yes, I say sometimes this woman or that man, it's equal) you conflate this with me being misogynist. I have a similar theory about you; I think you're racist, sir.

And also for your information, I am a skilled JS frameworks architect as well as being a cloud solutions expert so I am more than is capable to perform my work in a coroporate environment.

Comment

Working...
                      X