• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hybrid versus 100% remote working

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snooky View Post

Me too. It's hardly surprising when you spend the main part of your waking day with the same people, 5 days a week for however many months or years.
    "and the only thing you have in common with them is the piece of carpet you walk up and down on eight hours a day"

Comment

We were strongly encouraged to go in to the office yesterday for an ad-hoc whiteboarding workshop so face to face would be so much better. Therefore I go in, meet with my team, only to find out that the project manager (permie, who insisted on the face to face) had booked a room with no projector nor whiteboard. No other rooms available

So we ended up all in that same room, in a Teams call with each other and all working on a Miro board.

I don't think any more face to face workshops will be organised for this project

Comment

I personally love being in an office. I live in London and love meeting new people and engaging. I have a number of social hobbies including running, cycling and gym which are also vastly more enjoyable than on my own.

Prior to Covid, I would also setup socials for the team and company which became a regular occurrence that at least once every 3months we would all do something collectively.

There will be plenty of time to be on own when we are 6ft under, just trying to make the most of the time while we can.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
          We were strongly encouraged to go in to the office yesterday for an ad-hoc whiteboarding workshop so face to face would be so much better. Therefore I go in, meet with my team, only to find out that the project manager (permie, who insisted on the face to face) had booked a room with no projector nor whiteboard. No other rooms available

So we ended up all in that same room, in a Teams call with each other and all working on a Miro board.

I don't think any more face to face workshops will be organised for this project
          Hang on, you needed to be on a Teams call while in the same room as the people on the call just to use a shared Miro board??

Comment

Originally posted by SchumiStars View Post
            I personally love being in an office. I live in London and love meeting new people and engaging. I have a number of social hobbies including running, cycling and gym which are also vastly more enjoyable than on my own.

Prior to Covid, I would also setup socials for the team and company which became a regular occurrence that at least once every 3months we would all do something collectively.

There will be plenty of time to be on own when we are 6ft under, just trying to make the most of the time while we can.
            You'd be surprised how many developer personalities think this is contrived "forced fun" and don't want anything to do with it. I'm quite social but I also hate such crap, I have my own mates (of my choosing, not forced upon me during my time working the mines).

Comment

I personally love being in an office. I live in London and love meeting new people and engaging..
              If you live near the office that's fine. Spending an hour plus a day commuting does become soul destroying after a while. One gig I did for a few years had me racking up over 3000 hours in the car that I'll never get back. I figured I was responsible for that time, and decided to never commute again. Yes it takes longer to find fully remote contracts, but the time it takes is miniscule compared to the time I would otherwise spend commuting.

There's also the cultural aspect, remote working companies seem to be so much better than hybrid/fulltime places. It's like they understand you're an adult and trust you to do work without supervision.

Comment

Ugh. My idea of hell! Running the clientCo sports and social club sounds a bit permie for my liking (and I did run a S&S club in a previous permie life).

Comment

I personally love being in an office. I live in London
                  And presumably work in London, so you may just as easily have said "I live just a short journey from where I work".

I'm sure many of those who prefer remote working would be more amenable to regular office days if it was only a short trip away. When you've spent 30 years commuting, wasting 3 or more hours of every working day and a considerable amount of money travelling into work for no good reason, your viewpoint is a little different.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Ugh. My idea of hell! Running the clientCo sports and social club sounds a bit permie for my liking (and I did run a S&S club in a previous permie life).
                    ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
                    Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post

You'd be surprised how many developer personalities think this is contrived "forced fun" and don't want anything to do with it. I'm quite social but I also hate such crap, I have my own mates (of my choosing, not forced upon me during my time working the mines).
                      By 'developer personalities' you mean introverts lacking social skills LOL

Comment

Working...
                      X