• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Under experienced, under qualified for a role

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Under experienced, under qualified for a role

I was offered a role for which I was under experienced and under qualified for 6mths ago. I am generally a Microsoft stack developer and was offered a role doing Java and Node Js.

At the time, I was excited by the opportunity and worked late evenings and weekends to reduce the deficit quickly. Managed to learn the new tools and became productive on the project however just got the dreaded elbow last week. I believe the replacement was from their own consultancy company.

Not real taken the push too well as I was getting on with things quite well by the end. But nevermind. Just wondering if anyone else had experienced anything similar?

Oh yes, certainly in the early days I never turned a role down. I never got terminated but it was a close run thing on once or twice.

But now you’re experienced and can use that stuff, just bung it on your CV and off you go. Such is the life of a contractor.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Like Cojak, oh yes.

Blagged through an interview saying I knew Ada (having only read Barnes book and a quick two week course). Luckily the role was a find and fix one getting ready for RN Acceptance. The Tech Architect quickly sussed me, but as I was finding the source of more faults than the rest put together he looked kindly on me and would send me code snippets to help.

Just luck that the job entailed the one skill I really did have, fault finding on complex embedded systems, gained in the RAF when most stuff was still analogue.

After a year there and the system was accepted by the RN I left and never looked back.
      But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

What am I missing here? Contractor finds business, does everything possible to make money then contract comes to a conclusion. Hasn't every contractor ever experienced this?

Is the focus on getting a gig with the wrong experience? I don't see what him getting the elbow has to do with that so what experience is the OP talking about?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Interview tip. If asked "can you do this?"*, the correct answer is "yes". Same applies if the question is asked during the contract. I've never failed to get the work done.

* As opposed to "do you have experience of this?".
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

The technical interview was hilarious. I failed on every, single, question. However still, somehow got the job. I was shocked when I saw the market share Java had compared to C# so just had to learn it.

Nevermind, all good. Just venting.

Comment

Originally posted by SchumiStars View Post
              I was shocked when I saw the market share Java had compared to C# so just had to learn it.
              This is the part where you tell us the market share...

Comment

Originally posted by SchumiStars View Post
                The technical interview was hilarious. I failed on every, single, question. However still, somehow got the job. I was shocked when I saw the market share Java had compared to C# so just had to learn it.

Nevermind, all good. Just venting.
                They were desperate and knew you would learn it. And you did.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

After being a permie for over 20 years I went contracting and within the space of five years was effectively 'promoted' four times. The last two contracts were a big step up from what I'd done before and I was an interim manager. The clients obviously thought I could do the bulk of the role and I just blagged the rest. I don't think I would have got away with it in a technical role though.

Comment

A VERY significant number of people suffer from 'imposter syndrome' were they don't believe they are fit for their role.

"39% of the UK population experiences days when they feel bad at their jobs at least weekly"

In my experience in IT at least, this is very closely aligned with my long held view that approx. 40% of people really are incompetent.

The ability and desire the learn quickly is a key skill in contracting.

Comment

Working...
                    X