• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Under experienced, under qualified for a role"

Collapse

• SchumiStars
    replied
    Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post

If anyone ever offers you an opportunity you can't 'do', accept it and work it out when you get there. There's so much you can learn from Youtube and asking questions of people around you.

It's not a waste of time either in your instance - you got paid, and learnt enough to be able to do it better next time round.

The myth of people being perfectly qualified is just that - the truth is, we're all just pretending, learning as we go and occasionally cocking something up.
    Thank you for this, helps me feel better.

With kind regards, SS.

Leave a comment:

• mattster
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post

Very true.
    and around 40% suffer from dunning Kruger.

I trust people who doubt their abilities a lot more than people who don’t.
    Exactly. And the 39% who suffer from imposter syndrome probably has much less overlap with the 40% who are genuinely incompetent thant it should! (probably near 0% overlap, actually).

Leave a comment:

• TheDude
    replied
    Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post

If anyone ever offers you an opportunity you can't 'do', accept it and work it out when you get there. There's so much you can learn from Youtube and asking questions of people around you.

It's not a waste of time either in your instance - you got paid, and learnt enough to be able to do it better next time round.

The myth of people being perfectly qualified is just that - the truth is, we're all just pretending, learning as we go and occasionally cocking something up.
    When interviewing I am honest about my experience and the technologies I have no experience in but highlight any experience that may be relevant.

My CV makes it perfectly clear what I have and haven't done so if I am being interviewed I assume the missing skills aren't a deal breaker and this is my opportunity to show I would have no problem acquiring them.

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    Originally posted by SchumiStars View Post
    I was offered a role for which I was under experienced and under qualified for 6mths ago. I am generally a Microsoft stack developer and was offered a role doing Java and Node Js.

At the time, I was excited by the opportunity and worked late evenings and weekends to reduce the deficit quickly. Managed to learn the new tools and became productive on the project however just got the dreaded elbow last week. I believe the replacement was from their own consultancy company.

Not real taken the push too well as I was getting on with things quite well by the end. But nevermind. Just wondering if anyone else had experienced anything similar?

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Just to update the thread.

Just landed two roles with my new skills. A contract (inside) and one a permi job (£85k). Got offered the permi job directly in the interview and had discussion about the salary which I found odd.

Right then, better learn Java Streams.

Onwards and upwards my friend!

Leave a comment:

• SchumiStars
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

So you've taken both of them?
    I wish!

The permi job requires 2 days on-site in London. So will have to let that go.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

Just landed two roles with my new skills. A contract (inside) and one a permi job (£85k). Got offered the permi job directly in the interview and had discussion about the salary which I found odd.

So you've taken both of them?

Leave a comment:

• SchumiStars
    replied

Leave a comment:

• TheDude
    replied
    Originally posted by edison View Post
    I attended a webinar a few months ago about how to build your personal brand, improve your network and win more work. It was aimed mainly at people in portfolio careers.
    The remote working place I use hosts events like this.

No matter who they are pitched at the same unemployed and barely employed people turn up every time.

Leave a comment:

• edison
    replied
    I attended a webinar a few months ago about how to build your personal brand, improve your network and win more work. It was aimed mainly at people in portfolio careers.

Interestingly, one of the tips was don't say for example 'I work in IT' but talk about high level outcomes and phrase it around something specific you've done recently. The theory was that irrespective of your profession (with a few notable exceptions), the other people you're talking too will just find the first approach dull.

Leave a comment:

• edison
    replied
    Originally posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    A VERY significant number of people suffer from 'imposter syndrome' were they don't believe they are fit for their role.

"39% of the UK population experiences days when they feel bad at their jobs at least weekly"

In my experience in IT at least, this is very closely aligned with my long held view that approx. 40% of people really are incompetent.

The ability and desire the learn quickly is a key skill in contracting.
    I know some high achieving CIOs, some of them very well known, and I'm surprised when they tell me they have imposter syndrome. The ones I know who have it tend to be female - I wonder if that's a result of working in a very male dominated environment?

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by jainnode View Post

well, i'm sure everyone understands clusterf*ck ;-)
    Surely you mean "enhancements"

Leave a comment:

• jainnode
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post

When people ask me what I do, I say "the simple answer is IT"

If they ask further, I describe the outcomes of the work I do, and try to do it in terms they would understand.
    well, i'm sure everyone understands clusterf*ck ;-)

Leave a comment:

• TheDude
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Don't you like the mystery before they say "I work in IT too"? Then you can actually tell people what you do with the tech stack knowing they will understand.
    Unless it is the bloke with the Homer Simpson tie.

Then again I probably couldn't administer an office full of Windows machines.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by TheDude View Post

I hate it when people use the phrase IT to describe my work.

IT is the bloke wearing the Homer Simpson tie.
    Don't you like the mystery before they say "I work in IT too"? Then you can actually tell people what you do with the tech stack knowing they will understand.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X