• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

135K FTE or 710 Umbrella Rate?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post

For inside I have not run the numbers - However I am hiring and today I saw someone asking for 425 per day inside or 70K outside
    That makes absolutely no sense - what does 70k outside mean - outside would usually be a day rate so £400 or so.

If you mean £425 inside or a £70k salary - well £425 @230 days gives you a PAYE salary (after Employer NI and pension deductions) of about £81500 so that's probably at the point the contract makes sense.

£710 however gives you a PAYE "salary" of £137,750 under those calculations so the FTE rate is way better.
    Last edited by eek; 28 April 2022, 10:07.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

That makes absolutely no sense - what does 70k outside mean - outside would usually be a day rate so £400 or so.

If you mean £425 inside or a £70k salary - well £425 @230 days gives you a PAYE salary (after Employer NI and pension deductions) of about £81500 so that's probably at the point the contract makes sense.

£710 however gives you a PAYE "salary" of £137,750 under those calculations so the FTE rate is way better.
      Dont think £710 day rate will give £137750 PAYE salary.. how did you calculate that?

Comment

Originally posted by chinnaab View Post

Dont think £710 day rate will give £137750 PAYE salary.. how did you calculate that?
        230 days - (you lose 30 days holiday)

£710* 230= £163,300

and then I took off employee NI at 15.55%.

thag gives me £141,000 or so, so it also includes a full employer pension contribution at 3%
        Last edited by eek; 28 April 2022, 12:15.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

230 days - (you lose 30 days holiday)

£710* 230= £163,300

and then I took off employee NI at 15.55%.

thag gives me £141,000 or so, so it also includes a full employer pension contribution at 3%

With that £141,000 you are well above £100K of personal allowance. So the whole is fully taxed. My brain hurts, I don't remember the calculation working out.

Comment

I turned down 140k FTE with one of large consulting firms (big 4). For that much salary, they will want to own every aspect of your life.

I can work two outside IR35 contracts and make much more without the need to give my life to the partners/owners of the firm.

Comment

Originally posted by ConsultingTechArchitect View Post
              I turned down 140k FTE with one of large consulting firms (big 4). For that much salary, they will want to own every aspect of your life.

I can work two outside IR35 contracts and make much more without the need to give my life to the partners/owners of the firm.
              Assuming you can genuinely source those *Outside* IR35 contracts; and to quote Rudyard Kipling, in his Barrack-room ballads, 1892: "Oh, East is East, and West is West, and never the twain shall meet."

Comment

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post

Assuming you can genuinely source those *Outside* IR35 contracts; and to quote Rudyard Kipling, in his Barrack-room ballads, 1892: "Oh, East is East, and West is West, and never the twain shall meet."
                I'm working two outside right now with another one just landing in my Linkedin inbox (I won't take a third).

There are still some around.

Comment

Just to clarify it was 425 inside and a salary (nothing to do with outside) - And for completness the salary expected was 90K vs 425 inside (not 70 my mistake). Thank you eek for those figures above

Comment

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post

Just to clarify it was 425 inside and a salary (nothing to do with outside) - And for completness the salary expected was 90K vs 425 inside (not 70 my mistake). Thank you eek for those figures above
                    That doesn’t make them equivalent - it just makes then what someone says they would want to jump from contracting - or, as I have done many times - is a way of telling an agent, or company, that I wouldn’t want to work for them permanently. Because if your friend who told you that was being serious, they would have also mentioned the benefits package and pension they’d want.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                    X