• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is the most effective excuse to immediately terminate a contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the most effective excuse to immediately terminate a contract?

I know many on here will berate me for considering a very unethical, non business approach to terminating a contract. However, I have anxiety issues, which recently resurfaced again a week and a half into a new, very stressful contract and which is making concentrating and my ability to do my job effectively almost impossible on a day to day basis.

With the contract being 1 week's notice the thought of working that week is even more anxiety inducing, particularly as there are a number of workshops and presentations that I am due to be giving. What immediate excuse could I realistically give for not working tomorrow, for terminating, for not only giving notice, but for also not working my notice? I really do not wish to go into detail about my personal health issues and would rather avoid having to have an awkward conversation with the client or agency, particularly as the client had been very willing to wait for a number of weeks for me to start. I do feel like I would be letting them down but am unable to continue. If

Any advise would be welcome

Death in the family works wonders. Have to leave the country asap to be with your mother.

Yeah it's not great to fib to leave a contract but sometimes needs must.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      Death in the family works wonders. Have to leave the country asap to be with your mother.
      Unfortunately that wouldn't wash as I had mentioned to a couple of colleagues recently that my family live locally.

Comment

I'd just go for something that references the health without going in to detail. They'll surely twig it's pretty serious to leave on the spot. Something like 'due to some personal issues that I would uncomfortable discussing I feel I am no longer able to operate efficiently so have to tender my immediate termination of the contract'. Something like that but better worded maybe. If they are that way inclined they are gonna be hacked off whatever you put but if they've anything about them they'll know whatever it is must be serious. You don't have to say what those issues are and you can shut any questions down with they are personal reasons i am not willing or at liberty to discuss with you. Do you think they've any indication you have been struggling? If they have that will further tell them you've got it bad and it's not your fault.

Would you be OK with that level of detail or is that not going to help your well being?

I have seen a guy that was struggling with something at work and he kept falling asleep at his PC. One day reception called up and said he's gone, handed pass in and a post it note for the manager. Post it note just said 'Fell asleep at my PC again, I can't do this job properly sorry'. He'd been in a mess for a bit so wasn't any surprise to be fair and had to feel for the guy to go just like that. A bit unorthadox but did the job. If that works I don't think a bare faced lie helps much.

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          I'd just go for something that references the health without going in to detail. They'll surely twig it's pretty serious to leave on the spot. Something like 'due to some personal issues that I would uncomfortable discussing I feel I am no longer able to operate efficiently so have to tender my immediate termination of the contract'. Something like that but better worded maybe. If they are that way inclined they are gonna be hacked off whatever you put but if they've anything about them they'll know whatever it is must be serious. You don't have to say what those issues are and you can shut any questions down with they are personal reasons i am not willing or at liberty to discuss with you. Do you think they've any indication you have been struggling? If they have that will further tell them you've got it bad and it's not your fault.
          By immediate termination should I therefore expect to lose all money owing to me for not effectively working the 1 week's notice? Do I contact the agency directly rather than the client? I also have a contract with the umbrella company but assuming that this would still hold and would I need to inform them also? I am concerned that the agency will demand that I work my notice/ want an explanation and that the client will be on the phone to me to discuss my reasons further and this I'd what I definitely want to avoid

Comment

You said that you're a week and a half into the contract. So, I'm guessing that you did Mon-Fri last week (21st-25th) and Mon-Wed this week (28th-30th). Have you had a timesheet approved for last week? If so, that should be paid, and the umbrella will probably pay you tomorrow or Friday.

In theory you should get paid for the 3 days you've worked this week, but that relies on you submitting a timesheet and them approving it. Given the circumstances, I think it would be better to let that go, which might make the client feel a bit better disposed towards you.

Either way, you don't have a contract with the client directly, so you shouldn't need to talk to them. (Do they even have your phone number?) It's only the agency that you need to deal with, and I agree with NLUK's advice there.

Comment

Originally posted by Tractor Trace View Post

By immediate termination should I therefore expect to lose all money owing to me for not effectively working the 1 week's notice? Do I contact the agency directly rather than the client? I also have a contract with the umbrella company but assuming that this would still hold and would I need to inform them also? I am concerned that the agency will demand that I work my notice/ want an explanation and that the client will be on the phone to me to discuss my reasons further and this I'd what I definitely want to avoid
              Well, in theory you should get paid for every day you worked if you have a signed timesheet. It's in your contract. Question is will they sign it for the outstanding days when you have gone. Lets they they do the decent thing and sign it then technically you should get your money but you could be open to being sued for breach of contract as the agency is losing comission from you leaving and incur costs to replace you so they've got a slam dunk case. In reality, which we've seen a lot of on here, the agency will just keep any money still owed to you, both from previous signed timesheets they've not paid you yet and the days you didn't get a timesheet. They will see it in lieu of the money they lost by you breaching. Unfortuantely you need to be fully prepared for them to keep it and you'll have to fight to get it which I don't think is going to help your medical situation.

Technically the chain is you- brolly - agent - client so the brolly holds the contract between agency and them which is the one you are giving notice on so you should really tell the brolly who inform the agent but I think to save time no one will mind if you go straight to the agency and inform them. The brolly don't really care, they just pay you the money they get and they aren't on comission or anything. You could tell the client to make them aware what is going on to be polite but you don't really need to. It could say something in your contract about informing the agency directly about time off or sickness anyway. You only need to give notice to the brolly if you are leaving their employment so serving notice on teh contract between them and you which you aren't at the moment.

I am afraid it's quite reasonable for both the last two things to happen. The agency is losing money so they aren't likely to roll over without some conversation and the client 'might' want a hand over or something but you certainly don't owe any explaination to the client. You have no contractual obligation to them directly. This is why I do think touching on your situation will help. You say you don't want to discuss it with anyone but it is probably the best way to avoid any further fall out. Lies and excuses will just be more reason for the agency to pile on the pressure. As much as you don't want to, touching on the detail should actually help avoid any further fall out so maybe you need to work out in your own mind which is the lesser of two evils. Hide it and do your best to avoid an upset agent wanting a reason or tell them and hopefully they will understand and leave you alone.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Why lie?

Just tell them that due to a sudden severe health issue the contract is frustrated and you won't be coming in. For work done and not paid for, start dunning. When you feel well enough.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Thanks for all your responses so far. I agree that citing personal issues affecting my ability to workin in an email directly to the agent is the best way forward. The only issue is on returning my IT equipment which the client does have my contact details for. I am concerned that by having to interact with a potentially very annoyed hiring manager regarding arrangements of return (possibly having to go to the site which I want to avoid) that she may try to drag me into an uncomfortable situation whereby I am questioned or pressured to explain further.

Comment

Originally posted by Tractor Trace View Post
                    Thanks for all your responses so far. I agree that citing personal issues affecting my ability to workin in an email directly to the agent is the best way forward. The only issue is on returning my IT equipment which the client does have my contact details for. I am concerned that by having to interact with a potentially very annoyed hiring manager regarding arrangements of return (possibly having to go to the site which I want to avoid) that she may try to drag me into an uncomfortable situation whereby I am questioned or pressured to explain further.
                    You just say you are signed off sick with stress. Then ask via email how they wish the items to be returned and don't answer the phone.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X