• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Slippery agent behaviour.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheDude View Post
    In the last few days I have pulled out of two time consuming applications after receiving offers - one because the the rate magically dropped by 10% and one because the contract magically flipped from outside to inside.

This is pretty par for the course but what is the worst behaviour you have experienced from an agent? For me it was an agent arranging an interview before even approaching me for the role and then getting *extremely* belligerent when told I wasn't interested.
    Flew to switzerland from london for what i was told was a final stage interview, was met by agent at airport.

it was quite clear that when i got to client site the role had been offered to someone else. Was asked in the interview for named references from previous (large employer) as a condition for an offer. Gave the references to the agent, the end-client never contacted them. Once role had closed said agency then contacted my previous managers to tap them up. Agent did not call me back confirming that i had not be given the role. Did not recieve feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post

Flew to switzerland from london for what i was told was a final stage interview, was met by agent at airport.

it was quite clear that when i got to client site the role had been offered to someone else. Was asked in the interview for named references from previous (large employer) as a condition for an offer. Gave the references to the agent, the end-client never contacted them. Once role had closed said agency then contacted my previous managers to tap them up. Agent did not call me back confirming that i had not be given the role. Did not recieve feedback.
      It's not easy but I try and resist any attempts by agents of social engineering.

Comment

That's a tough pill to swallow.

Who paid for the flights? You or the client?

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

It's not easy but I try and resist any attempts by agents of social engineering.
          Many years ago - about 15 or so - I got well and truly engineered by an agent on the phone. I had thrown my CV out there and had a few opportunities on the go, one of which was a direct role that I had been recommended for and had an interview scheduled. An agent rang about another role, and somehow (my own stupidity) managed to get details of my upcoming interview out of me. Next thing I knew I had a call from the company involved and this agent was trying to interject himself into the arrangement, apparently with some success - I still don't really understand wtf was going on to be honest. It got messy and I had an offer from somewhere else so was the end of it but it still annoys me to this day (mostly, that I was stupid enough to divulge the info or perhaps he was just an extremely gifted social engineer).

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post

That's a tough pill to swallow.

Who paid for the flights? You or the client?
            I paid. This was during a very purple patch for contracting in 2014-2015 where failure and agent fraud had abated for a while so I didn't consider the risks properly.

Comment

My worst one was when I was negotiating my second contract. The daily rate agreed was something like £350, it was only after interview that it transpired this daily rate was only acheivable doing a 12 hour night shift, so instead of the roughly £50/hour it was only £30/hour. The negotiations got so bad between the agency, the client and the 3 contractors that the agency then told me "they had washed their hands of the whole deal" and hadnt even bothered to tell the contractors that it had all fallen through. I then even tried calling HR direct to see if something could be done, but they weren't impressed with the agency or us contractors (who the agency had obviously blamed for being awkward and making the deal fall through)

Comment

Yes, I've had this 3 times this year. My last gig INSIDE IR35 wanted to cut my rate by £50 a day because of clients budget, I reluctantly agreed but the hit wasn't that much because of being inside. And I knew I would be leaving in 2 months.... More recently, had 2 offers come in Outside IR35 and both of them wanted to reduce the rates even after rate agreed and succesful interviews. This is underhanded agency techniques for them to squeeze more profit. The contracting world has changed so much and there are a lot of scummy people involved, this will back fire on them. Especially if they are undercutting inside rates. Anyway, one of the gigs I've just stood my ground on as I really want it and have told them the rate is what we agreed, and what I am worth. If clients reduces the rate then I will back out....just you wait....the offer will come in this week for the rate I wanted....this has nothing to do with the end-client, they already have the budget signed off.

Comment

I've had this as well, but I bet you were pi..ed off, I would be. Never EVER give agencies references, this has been going on for years. The only caveat is if hiring client requests in writing...but only on the condition after the offer comes in first. It's all BS, most of my managers were contractors and moved on...so IF needed just give HR email address.

Comment

Originally posted by virtualm View Post
                    Yes, I've had this 3 times this year. My last gig INSIDE IR35 wanted to cut my rate by £50 a day because of clients budget, I reluctantly agreed but the hit wasn't that much because of being inside. And I knew I would be leaving in 2 months.... More recently, had 2 offers come in Outside IR35 and both of them wanted to reduce the rates even after rate agreed and succesful interviews. This is underhanded agency techniques for them to squeeze more profit. The contracting world has changed so much and there are a lot of scummy people involved, this will back fire on them. Especially if they are undercutting inside rates. Anyway, one of the gigs I've just stood my ground on as I really want it and have told them the rate is what we agreed, and what I am worth. If clients reduces the rate then I will back out....just you wait....the offer will come in this week for the rate I wanted....this has nothing to do with the end-client, they already have the budget signed off.
                    Yes happened to me in 2 of my contracts. One of them I was even told there are 2 other candidates that did well in the interviews asking £100 less than me / day.

I said, no problem let them have it. Agent called a couple of hours later and said I got the contract.

Comment

Agent contacted me once about a gig. Gave it all to me, how good the client was, how all the other contractors never wanted to leave.
                      So I asked the rate (was listed as market) - it was about 1/3rd market so I politely declined.

Agent went off on one, saying how I'd NEVER get a gig with his client because I was a money grabber who only considered the money and HIS client didn't want people like me. Fair enough find someone else.

All I'd done was politely ask the rate and politely decline. Must have been having a bad day.
                      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X