• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hourly rates AIT /Mechanical Engineering contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hourly rates AIT /Mechanical Engineering contractors

Hello,

After 4 years of contracting and working in 2 different projects in same company, I am planning to ask for rate adjustment since prices are rising literally in everything and my responsibilities have changed. I am currently earning 36 pounds per hour and i am planning to ask for 41 but i am not sure if i am asking for too much or lower than i suppose to ask considering i have been in same rate since i have started (except i was working as ltd company and now i am working under umbrella ). Also should i ask for little higher incase employer negotiates and offer lower ( around the rate i want ) or can it back fire and they may not come back with another offer? I want to know how much contractors in the similar fields are earning to find out if i am making right offer or i should reconsider.

It depends what you mean by mechanical engineering. How experienced are you and are you Chartered?

But asking for an 11% increase is a big ask - why should the client pay you more? Normally the only way to get that big an increase in your day rate is to move contracts.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Hello Cojak,

I have completed 4 years in same role in 2 different projects. I am not chartered yet, just have interim ceng status but i am also in procress of getting CEng. I don't know how much yearly people get raise, one of my colleague got 3% increase after a year so i thought what i am asking is reasonable but i don't want to push it too hard as well. Also I am covering for other roles too since a lot of people moved onto different jobs. How much is acceptable for you if 11%is big ask ?

Comment

Unless you have somewhere else lined up to go to, there is a significant risk that the answer will be no pay rise.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by aeroeng View Post
          How much is acceptable for you if 11%is big ask ?
          There is no answer for you. It depends on each situation and they are all different so there isn't much point asking us as we don't know the details.
          We don't know things like how useful you are, what the market rate is, how are you are engaged, is there an agent in the loop, how cash strapped the client is and so on. The only thing you can do is try work out if you can make it stick and then hit them with it hard.

If there is an agent involved do you know their comission? The only place you tend to get a rise is from the agents commission as they may flex if it's long easy money. If you are direct with a client then you are looking at changing their standard charge sheet which will be very difficult.

The only general advice for you is that you don't ask, you tell them. If you ask for more money they will just say no. They aren't going to give money away for nothing. You need leverage and that leverage is you. You want a pay rise or you are going and hopefully yhey will sit up and think. Just a polite question and you'll get laughed out the room. Go in with your terms and the threat of leaving it might be worth it. If you aren't prepared to walk over this then it's highly unlikely you'll get anything.

I'd also suggest 11% is too much for doing exactly what you were doing before, particularly if it's still market rate. Permie rises are in the 1-2% if that so why do you get 11%?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by aeroeng View Post
            After 4 years of contracting and working in 2 different projects in same company
            Have you spent all 4 years working for the same client? If you've been there for a long time, and you intend to stay there for another few years, you might be better off talking to them about going permanent. That would then be a natural opportunity to discuss what your permie salary would be. If you look at your P60s from the umbrella company, you can find out what your effective salary has been for the past few years (as opposed to your daily rate); it might be worth waiting a month, so that you can get an accurate figure for the current financial year too.

Comment

Originally posted by hobnob View Post

Have you spent all 4 years working for the same client? If you've been there for a long time, and you intend to stay there for another few years, you might be better off talking to them about going permanent. That would then be a natural opportunity to discuss what your permie salary would be. If you look at your P60s from the umbrella company, you can find out what your effective salary has been for the past few years (as opposed to your daily rate); it might be worth waiting a month, so that you can get an accurate figure for the current financial year too.
              Listen to Hobnob - this is the post you most need to consider.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
              X