• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where to people draw their professional lines?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damn, and there was me about to ask a question based on someone at work being a bit nasty to me!

Comment

AutoCAD
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        AutoCAD
        Unless you are a Big 4 consultant - at which point its PowerPoint (yep not even Visio).
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by IsayIsayIsay View Post
          Damn, and there was me about to ask a question based on someone at work being a bit nasty to me!
          Please do. We love posts like that.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Unless you are a Big 4 consultant - at which point its PowerPoint (yep not even Visio).
            Does Prezi count?

Comment

Damn, and there was me about to ask a question based on someone on an internet forum being a bit nasty to me!
              FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

You do the job you're paid (and contracted) to do. If the client wants an insecure firewall configuration or a non-fault tolerant solution, then tell them why they are being prats - but get it in writing so they don't come after you when it all goes wrong. You can only really refuse to do something if it's illegal or fraudulent.

You are there to do and advise, and record your proposed solution(s) with caveats and risk analyses where needed. Many clients don't always want a perfect solution, just one they are comfortable with.
                +1

I crashed and burned in an interview when an arrogant arse asked me about a nice-but-dim contractor in a previous project. I had a disagreement with Nice-But-Dim about a decision a senior manager had made which was not best practise but definitely a case of 'know your battles'. AA knew N-B-D and had obviously been briefed on this and I had walked into a no-win situation and didn't get the contract. (I wasn't going to slag off an ex-colleague but 'Ah Bless' wasn't going to cut it.)

Apart from that, you get your instructions, advise on consequences and alternative options, then you carry out your instructions knowing that there's an extension in the pipeline.

"I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

(yep not even Visio).
                  Or Word for that matter.
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

Does Prezi count?

(Great for making a good portion of an audience feel slightly sea sick... )

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

+1

I crashed and burned in an interview when an arrogant arse asked me about a nice-but-dim contractor in a previous project. I had a disagreement with Nice-But-Dim about a decision a senior manager had made which was not best practise but definitely a case of 'know your battles'. AA knew N-B-D and had obviously been briefed on this and I had walked into a no-win situation and didn't get the contract. (I wasn't going to slag off an ex-colleague but 'Ah Bless' wasn't going to cut it.)

Apart from that, you get your instructions, advise on consequences and alternative options, then you carry out your instructions knowing that there's an extension in the pipeline.
                      I do believe that was neither judgemental or cynical. Thank you, I appreciate your post

Comment

Working...
                      X