• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Asked to lead team - should I request a bump?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asked to lead team - should I request a bump?

Team lead has resigned and they've asked me to replace him, but they expect me to do so on my current rate.

When I said I assumed that the lead would receive a higher rate, they've said they have flat rates with only minor fluctuations as leads are valued the same as the team, its just different work e.g. organising rather than doing

I have seen generic PMs earning less than tech experts, but PM and tech lead are different IMO and I still tought tech leads would get more then tech analysts.

Does anyone have any views on this? I don't think I want the added hassles for no extra money but I'm not sure if I'm being unreliastic in expecting a 15% to 20% bump to lead the team.

Any thoughts on tech leads earning more than tech analysts, and any rough % bump that would be reasonable?

Do you want to do Team Lead work in the future - personally I wouldn't

I would just say sorry but I'm not interested and I'm sorry to say this but that sort of attitude from the client screams that they think you are inside IR35.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

they've already told you they won't pay more.
      So your question should be whether you want to do it or not surely?
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        they've already told you they won't pay more.
        So your question should be whether you want to do it or not surely?
        Eh no. The question is are you willing to risk the gig to ask for more. Personally I would tell them see ya later. They are just trying it on

Comment

Originally posted by cannon999 View Post

Eh no. The question is are you willing to risk the gig to ask for more. Personally I would tell them see ya later. They are just trying it on
          That's just stupid.
          Telling them 'see ya later' is ending the gig without any good reason.

Of the 2 options I suggested, you have managed to come up with a 3rd really dumb one.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

More responsibility, more money. Tell them you are willing to discuss taking on the role at renewal time for appropriate compensation.

If you have a good relationship with the hiring manager they won't say no. Ask for more than what you're willing to accept as they will try to get the asking rate down.

I have done this on a previous contract and got a 12% raise. I asked for 15%.

Don't accept unless they pay you more as team leading adds a lot of complications you could certainly do without.

Comment

Agreed that leading a group of people is harder and your level of responsibility will increase (not only for them, but from your seniors as you will be the conduit into any issues across that team and the work they are delivering).

I'd approach it like this:

1) Do I want to do it (y/n) - of course this depends on a combination of the other points (what's my gut saying)
              2) Will they pay me for it
              3) Do I like where I am (does it fit with me in non-financial terms too)
              4) Do I have anything else lined up
              5) Is this an experience that will elevate future earnings

Once I understood all of those I'd feel in a position to make a decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

That's just stupid.
                Telling them 'see ya later' is ending the gig without any good reason.

Of the 2 options I suggested, you have managed to come up with a 3rd really dumb one.
                I don't see "see ya later" as leaving the contract (although it's probably a sane option). It's just a different way of saying not interested, it's not for me.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by zonkkk View Post

Don't accept unless they pay you more as team leading adds a lot of complications you could certainly do without.
                  Indeed - you will be appraised on the performance of others.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

I don't see "see ya later" as leaving the contract (although it's probably a sane option). It's just a different way of saying not interested, it's not for me.
                    you might be right. It might not be intended to communicate a desire to terminate the contract.
                    But 'see ya later' is not helpful for the OP nor is it professional to say to the client, no matter that the intention is.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                    X