• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract outside UK - USA and Health Insurance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract outside UK - USA and Health Insurance

Hello fellow contractors, I have to go to USA for few months and obviously I need health insurance, as generous tit of UK NHS is not covering me there - so the question is - any of you ever had to deal with situation like that and can advice fellow contractor what I have to choose? The job will not be risky etc but sill I want to be covered!

Surely this is the same issue every single person from the UK has to consider when travelling to the US so should be very well documented? There were 750,000 people travelled from the UK to the US in 2020. They all seem to have been able to sort it out themselves. Why can't you?

Have you done any research at all in to your options or is this just the laziest post of 2021?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

What’s your immigration status?

Comment

And remember, tourist health insurance is not the same as business/resident health insurance (at least it wasn’t when I worked in Switzerland).
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          And remember, tourist health insurance is not the same as business/resident health insurance (at least it wasn’t when I worked in Switzerland).
          Yes, which is why the OP better have proper status for productive work, else understand the details of the policy terms - any major payout related to an accident in a working environment and the insurers will probably take a very close look. Anything like ICU and you’re quickly in the tens to hundreds of thousands, so better to be very sure.

Comment

So, what’s your status, OP?

(And your contract may not be risky, but your car journey into work may well be…)
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

If you're only going to the US for a few months I would get cover from a UK based insurer.

e.g. https://www.axaglobalhealthcare.com/en/
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Thanks for answer, I of course did research, found some insurance like BUPA and CIGNA - but CIGNA has lots of bad reviews. If anyone else is interested - BUPA offers this kind of cover in the range of 300-600 pounds (depends what you need) - anyone had any kind of experience with them?
                Last edited by shabak; 31 December 2021, 12:51.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Surely this is the same issue every single person from the UK has to consider when travelling to the US so should be very well documented? There were 750,000 people travelled from the UK to the US in 2020. They all seem to have been able to sort it out themselves. Why can't you?

Have you done any research at all in to your options or is this just the laziest post of 2021?
                  Yes I did - thanks, i did not find a lot of info here - but I searched on my own and posted above. There are few options - but was thinking maybe someone had personal experience with some insurer - look on CIGNA - lots of bad reviews and I remember when I was in Iraq we had them but then nothing really happened so I dont know how good they are (looking at the reviews they suck)...

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                    What’s your immigration status?
                    I will not be migrant - it is non immigrant visa. (Not H1B for example).

Comment

Working...
                    X