• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contract outside UK - USA and Health Insurance"

Collapse

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Same to you and best of luck!

Leave a comment:

• shabak
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    In this case, it’s probably easier to get coverage from a UK supplier. There are short-term plans available in the US but, IIRC, they are focused on people between employers (i.e. very short term) and offer very different/more limited benefits. You could also try with one of the massive international suppliers that cover the US market, like CIGNA. I had them in the US and was always very happy with them, but I was there for much longer than a few months.
    I may try CIGNA but they had bad reviews on the net for some reason, we had them in Iraq ( i got card and stuff but never had to use health care so I dont know) - there is also BUPA - from UK. I will call them and ask about - and will update the topic so we all will have knowledge just in case some other contractor would need it ! Happy New Year to everyone and good contracts in 2022.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    In this case, it’s probably easier to get coverage from a UK supplier. There are short-term plans available in the US but, IIRC, they are focused on people between employers (i.e. very short term) and offer very different/more limited benefits. You could also try with one of the massive international suppliers that cover the US market, like CIGNA. I had them in the US and was always very happy with them, but I was there for much longer than a few months.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by shabak View Post

You are right but in this case its different, ( I cant tell client but it is defense company that had agreement with agency I work through) - so at the end I will work few months in USA and then we come back to UK - that is the reason I need cover and wanted to know what is recommended by other consultants that had this kind of situation - as someone said - there is for sure someone that had this kind of contract before so I just wanted to get advice. Nevertheless thanks for answer!
    When I used to fly round Europe for Microsoft, I was covered by Microsoft's health insurance (which did include seeing a doctor at one point).

I would have thought this was the same here so have you asked your end client how the health insurance has worked for others in your situation doing similar work.

Leave a comment:

• shabak
    replied

It’s a weird scenario because, like other classes of visa, it’s an employment visa, so there would be some entity other than YourCo listed as your employer and sponsor and they would normally handle your healthcare and payroll too.
    You are right but in this case its different, ( I cant tell client but it is defense company that had agreement with agency I work through) - so at the end I will work few months in USA and then we come back to UK - that is the reason I need cover and wanted to know what is recommended by other consultants that had this kind of situation - as someone said - there is for sure someone that had this kind of contract before so I just wanted to get advice. Nevertheless thanks for answer!

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied

Well, I work through my own LTD so I am a contractor. They said I am responsible for my own insurance. I will work through UK agency that provides services to them.
    It’s a weird scenario because, like other classes of visa, it’s an employment visa, so there would be some entity other than YourCo listed as your employer and sponsor and they would normally handle your healthcare and payroll too.

Leave a comment:

• shabak
    replied

Then it’s kinda surprising your employer is not offering you health insurance. What did they suggest when you asked them? Also slightly odd that you introduced yourself as a contractor.
    Well, I work through my own LTD so I am a contractor. They said I am responsible for my own insurance. I will work through UK agency that provides services to them.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied

G visa - (Its similar to NATO visa) - when u work for international organization. G and NATO are the one you get (so it is non-immigrant visa).
    Then it’s kinda surprising your employer is not offering you health insurance. What did they suggest when you asked them? Also slightly odd that you introduced yourself as a contractor.

Leave a comment:

• shabak
    replied

What visa, specifically, that allows you to do productive work there?
    G visa - (Its similar to NATO visa) - when u work for international organization. G and NATO are the one you get (so it is non-immigrant visa).

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied

I will not be migrant - it is non immigrant visa. (Not H1B for example).
    What visa, specifically, that allows you to do productive work there?

Leave a comment:

• shabak
    replied
    What’s your immigration status?
    I will not be migrant - it is non immigrant visa. (Not H1B for example).

Leave a comment:

• shabak
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Surely this is the same issue every single person from the UK has to consider when travelling to the US so should be very well documented? There were 750,000 people travelled from the UK to the US in 2020. They all seem to have been able to sort it out themselves. Why can't you?

Have you done any research at all in to your options or is this just the laziest post of 2021?
    Yes I did - thanks, i did not find a lot of info here - but I searched on my own and posted above. There are few options - but was thinking maybe someone had personal experience with some insurer - look on CIGNA - lots of bad reviews and I remember when I was in Iraq we had them but then nothing really happened so I dont know how good they are (looking at the reviews they suck)...

Leave a comment:

• shabak
    replied
    Thanks for answer, I of course did research, found some insurance like BUPA and CIGNA - but CIGNA has lots of bad reviews. If anyone else is interested - BUPA offers this kind of cover in the range of 300-600 pounds (depends what you need) - anyone had any kind of experience with them?
    Last edited by shabak; 31 December 2021, 12:51.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    If you're only going to the US for a few months I would get cover from a UK based insurer.

e.g. https://www.axaglobalhealthcare.com/en/

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    So, what’s your status, OP?

(And your contract may not be risky, but your car journey into work may well be…)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X