• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Valletta, Malta

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valletta, Malta

Has anyone worked on a contract in Malta? I have a very hot lead on a role for an online gaming company but the catch is that they are providing accommodation so I'll be in an apartment block full of other developers. I normally like to be a bit more independent. Has anyone else lived and worked like this before?

I assume you'll be a couple of people per appartment? Luck of the draw i guess. You could get some good heads and have a blast or you are stuck with undesirables and it's gonna be a nightmare. I certainly wouldn't be looking forward to that prospect either to be fair.

If the best case is you get some decent people but still don't like that type of living then I think it's gonna be a bit of a mare for you.

Personally for a gig like that I'd be quite happy to pay my own accomodation and just enjoy the experience even if it's costing me a bit more than it would otherwise.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I had something similar, where a client booked me into a hotel that was used to provide accommodation for the project team. The thing is managers were insisting people work on "off hours" from their hotel rooms. bullying team members in the bar, smoking area or restaurant, requiring "status updates" etc.
      At one point due to the swell in numbers on the job they were also making people share rooms
      Early on I told them it was unacceptable to me and moved to a different hotel.
      Since then I have always tried to avoid staying where the project team are staying.
      My advice try and get a small uplift in rate if you can to contribute to accommodation costs.
      Malta is lovely though.
      I know someone through one of my networking groups who does property letting out there.
      Former IPSE member
      My Website

Comment

You could insist on a single roomed apartment. I personally wouldn't want to share.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

this has a smell of workhouse to me...

could be exciting or a dump. make sure that you ask the right questions during the interview.

decent people in their sane mind would not usually move to an island to do that. they usually have families, commitments, pets, most of the people are not able to do that.

so the pool they have to select from would be a bit narrow in the first place.

I would not exclude it per say as opportunity but I would make sure the rate reflects the additional potential risk.

they are there for tax incentives or less stringent laws on the product they are building so... have no mercy.

Comment

I'm going to Malta, and will be staying in Valetta, in a couple of weeks. If you know where the apartment block is, PM me the address and I'll take a wander past and take a few photos of it and the surrounding area for you.

Whilst I wouldn't mind accommodation being provided, it would need to be of a decent standard, I wouldn't want to be forced to share with anyone and would want to be sure that outside of normal working hours I will be left alone.

Comment

Yes, I’m leaning towards pulling away from this one. The money isn’t good enough for me to go my own way and I have the same reservations as those mentioned in the posts above.

But, every once in a while I’ll take one of these kinds of roles that involve working in a slightly more exotic location. Just because.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                I'm going to Malta, and will be staying in Valetta, in a couple of weeks. If you know where the apartment block is, PM me the address and I'll take a wander past and take a few photos of it and the surrounding area for you.

Whilst I wouldn't mind accommodation being provided, it would need to be of a decent standard, I wouldn't want to be forced to share with anyone and would want to be sure that outside of normal working hours I will be left alone.
                Enjoy the food. I hope you like rabbit ?

Comment

Originally posted by La Petite Valse View Post

Enjoy the food. I hope you like rabbit ?
                  I do! I've been a few times so know what to expect.

Comment

Originally posted by La Petite Valse View Post
                    Yes, I’m leaning towards pulling away from this one. The money isn’t good enough for me to go my own way and I have the same reservations as those mentioned in the posts above.

But, every once in a while I’ll take one of these kinds of roles that involve working in a slightly more exotic location. Just because.
                    Depending on the duration, it's not a bad place to be for a few months if you've got the right kind of passport that allows you stay.

Comment

Working...
                    X