• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Looking for a second contract whilst currently in an existing contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a second contract whilst currently in an existing contract

Hi all,

im currently in a full time contract, which is 100% WFH. As I have sufficient bandwidth to look and apply for a second contract. The question is - do I let the recruitment agent (for either the new or existing contract) or my even my current client- know?

This has been done to death on here.

The usual lot will tell you it's impossible.

Some will say crack on.

You have to be clandestine about it all.

It's not as easy as you might think, unless you literally have no meetings ever.

Comment

You want to look for a contract or take on a contract?

Looking while already in a job is what everyone does as it makes good sense to line the next one up so you have minimal breaks.

If you're intended to do two jobs part-time while charging full-time pay then you're going to get some short shrift here. If you can't be honest with your clients then you'll eventually come a cropper.

There's nothing wrong with multiple concurrent contracts but keeping it a secret will end in tears.

Comment

Originally posted by fabio76 View Post
        The question is - do I let the recruitment agent (for either the new or existing contract) or my even my current client- know?
        Well if you can't tell either of them then you are doing something wrong.

A vasy majority of contracts just cannot accomodate dual working. The contracts wills state 9 to 5 or 8 hours a day or something like that so to do work for another client in that time is breach of contract. Neither client will be happy with the situation.

You having bandwidth while working on clients time isn't open season to go double billing.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The naysayers will say 'nay' as can be seen above, which usually means it's a good idea.
          ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
            The naysayers will say 'nay' as can be seen above, which usually means it's a good idea.
            Naysayers have also explained why which usually means your comment is not good advice.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Can it be done? Absolutely, in fact a few of my recent contracts would have allowed it.

However what happens if both want you in a meeting or once or have a deadline that needs your undivided attention?

Long story short is you might vert well be ok to do it but it isn't without risks.

Comment

So I have done this, but the main contract was a support contract for a vital computer system. I had two subbies who would receive alerts as well as me. They knew enough to keep the client happy until I could take over. The second contract was insanely busy, but I had both laptops on the desk and, while I never told them, I think they knew or suspected, however I was fairly critical to both clients, so we made it work.

My tactic for meetings was to never contribute anything, they soon stopped inviting me unless I was really needed.

Project work for the first client, I would quote a price and a number of days required which was generous, leaving plenty of space for any clashes.

Best year had me earn around 350K.
                Last edited by IVR247; 9 December 2021, 15:02.

Comment

Originally posted by IVR247 View Post
                  while I never told them, I think they knew or suspected, however I was fairly critical to both clients, so we made it work.
                  This is the key here, there's a good chance they will find out, so even if you don't tell them make sure you're not double booking, so if they complain you can explain that you worked your hours.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

If you feel you can't tell your existing client, then i suspect you know its not the right thing to do.

But, if you want to risk it, go for it. There's a few on here who don't seen the irony in spending 50% of their client's time posting/reading on here, but think its morally wrong for others to spend the same 50% billing another client.

Comment

Working...
                    X