• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Training company recommendations?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

I paid something like £4k for a Java course with Sun back in the early 2000s
    I hope the lunches were good.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

I hope the lunches were good.
      Tbf, it was a top notch course, probably the best one I've taken (of onsite or online). Lunches were in the pub, naturally.

Comment

No point spending it on the self learn courses. They need a bit of nous and effort to complete.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Unless you are going to put the skills into practice immediately then training courses are of questionable value. If you are taking courses with the aim of getting a new job you are wasting your time.

Everything you need to learn pretty much any technology is already available online for free and a github account with a few personal projects will impress employers a lot more than a bunch of e-certificates.

Citing such 'qualifications' makes your LinkedIn profile or CV look like Colonel Gaddafi's uniform.

hey its not costing me anything....
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

hey its not costing me anything....
            Your time doesn't come for free.

Comment

Your time doesn't come for free.
              Living wage.

Comment

I used PluralSight for one of my Azure exams and passed it, but they didn't have the courses for newer exams so I went to Whizlabs.

Only paid £40 for a course and 1 practice exam, however YMMV.

One thing I know from training companies is how they can somehow knock 50% off their prices listed online.

qh
                He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

Living wage.
                  can't claim JSA/UC if you're not available for work
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                  X