• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Training company recommendations?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Training company recommendations?

Got a grant of £1500 from the welsh government for some training...
    Its a minefield though and seem to be a plethora of training companies. Once they've got your name they don't stop ringing....

Training can be remote and/or self paced as well.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

might be a little under budget but for dev stuff I really like Pluralsight.

Comment

What do you want training in? Decide on that then you can narrow down which provider to go with.

Comment

Couple of possibilities:-

Dev Ops (kubernetes, Docker)
        Ansible (red hat focused)
        Cloud (AWS focused)

Obviously wont get all that...

Comment

Originally posted by ResistanceFighter View Post
          might be a little under budget but for dev stuff I really like Pluralsight.
          Not sure if things like pluralsight are going to swing it with the grant.....

They won't pay for things like glorified youtube videos etc.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
            Couple of possibilities:-

Dev Ops (kubernetes, Docker)
            Ansible (red hat focused)
            Cloud (AWS focused)

Obviously wont get all that...
            The udemy course on docker is pretty decent:

https://www.udemy.com/course/docker-mastery/

Ignore the "discounted only today" pap, everything is permanently discounted.

Comment

Problem is that £1500 will pay for a lot of very high quality video based courses, but sod all in person / online with tutor courses.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                Problem is that £1500 will pay for a lot of very high quality video based courses, but sod all in person / online with tutor courses.
                Know what you mean.... Just need something thats self-paced but with access to a tutor if that makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  I paid something like £4k for a Java course with Sun back in the early 2000s

Comment

Unless you are going to put the skills into practice immediately then training courses are of questionable value. If you are taking courses with the aim of getting a new job you are wasting your time.

Everything you need to learn pretty much any technology is already available online for free and a github account with a few personal projects will impress employers a lot more than a bunch of e-certificates.

Citing such 'qualifications' makes your LinkedIn profile or CV look like Colonel Gaddafi's uniform.

Last edited by TheDude; 28 October 2021, 12:02.

Comment

Working...
                    X