• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Turning down contract after verbal acceptance?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Not really as there will be plenty of posts from people who are genuinely new or have slightly different situations. An 11 year veteran of the forum asking questions he's asked before, commented on similar posts in the past, had multiple threads locked and been asked to search to help himself a little bit regularly over 10 years isn't really needed. Particularly when you know you've got no morals so doesn't matter what we say, you'll do it anyway.

I mean, you've hardly helped yourself by trolling prof and posting benign rubbish in General and then expect help?

And to be honest it's for your own good. If you learn how to help yourself just a little you'll find what you need and a ton of other stuff that will actually help you understand what you say you've been doing for 14 years.

But to be fair, reading the first post again you've just posted so you can ramble on about your situation really. Your question took 4 words yet you've written 493 others telling us what's going on.
    NLUK seriously? When are you going to find something else to do rather than your self-appointed role as forum police?
    Can't be arsed - on ignore now.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Are you turning down the contract because you've had an offer elsewhere or have you just decided that you don't want the job any more?

If the former, then there's really no issue withdrawing your acceptance of the offer - much the same as the client could withdraw their offer too. Yeah, people will be narked but that's life and everyone will get over it.

If the latter, and assuming you need the income, I wouldn't withdraw just yet. Let it burble along and keep looking for work. They may turn up with a contract or you may find other work in the meantime.

Comment

Done it a couple of times - in situations where the agent would have no hesitation doing similar if the client changed their mind.

Remember that if the client and agent had it in their power to lock things in a bit sooner and decided not to (by taking weeks to interview, issue a SOW/PO, get a laptop or whatever) then... they have to take the rough with the smooth.
        ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          Are you turning down the contract because you've had an offer elsewhere or have you just decided that you don't want the job any more?

If the former, then there's really no issue withdrawing your acceptance of the offer - much the same as the client could withdraw their offer too. Yeah, people will be narked but that's life and everyone will get over it.

If the latter, and assuming you need the income, I wouldn't withdraw just yet. Let it burble along and keep looking for work. They may turn up with a contract or you may find other work in the meantime.
          Had an offer somewhere else and current "offer" is fannying about a LOT with start dates etc. and I have a bad feeling about it.

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
            Done it a couple of times - in situations where the agent would have no hesitation doing similar if the client changed their mind.

Remember that if the client and agent had it in their power to lock things in a bit sooner and decided not to (by taking weeks to interview, issue a SOW/PO, get a laptop or whatever) then... they have to take the rough with the smooth.
            This is true of course.....

Client verbally told me it takes 2 days to sort the laptop etc. Then they told the agency it takes 2 weeks (then 3 weeks). I asked the agency for email confirmation and had nothing. I asked if they had received the PO from client so they could give me the contract - silence. I get the impression its not been sorted yet.

Could just be one of those things or it could be something else. Feel a little bad because I verbally accepted but surely the client/agency should know they can't fanny around for weeks on end and expect contractors to wait.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

This is true of course.....

Client verbally told me it takes 2 days to sort the laptop etc. Then they told the agency it takes 2 weeks (then 3 weeks). I asked the agency for email confirmation and had nothing. I asked if they had received the PO from client so they could give me the contract - silence. I get the impression its not been sorted yet.

Could just be one of those things or it could be something else. Feel a little bad because I verbally accepted but surely the client/agency should know they can't fanny around for weeks on end and expect contractors to wait.
              If you're looking for some phraseology to help you feel better - you accepted verbally, based on the conditions as were described at the time. Had you known in advance it was going to take weeks to onboard, you wouldn't have accepted. You feel misled, and feel that the information given was false.

Comment

I always thought I'd be the guy that never goes back on his word and once the contract is accepted verbally then that's it, you act professional...your word is your bond...all that crap.

End of my first contract and I did the same as the op, threw my morals in the bin, rejected an offer I verbally agreed to and after going through security checks because something better came along. Agent was pissed, definitely thought I had burnt that bridge.

Then 3 months later he's like "hey mate are you looking for roles?"

Life goes on.
                Last edited by PCTNN; 25 October 2021, 14:10.

Comment

Well I did it and glad I did.....

Agent didn't even bother to respond to my email. Yeh cheers for that.

I have a feeling it was on hold anyway so they didn't want to waste any time on it...

Comment

Not cool or acceptable?

Got a contract offer a few weeks ago. There was a massive mess up with the agencies where it all nearly went wrong. Only new agency - both client and agency seem in no rush at all. The start date keeps slipping and latest is two weeks time ("to sort laptop"). It doesn't take this long....

I've continued (if not full pace) to keep looking as everyone suggests. Some really good possibilities have come up - had one interview today and got another separate one tomorrow. A LOT more money (and one is outside IR35) and they look like they're going to move quickly. Another positive I'd get to keep my SC (not with the 1st role).....

Now bear in mind I've got the morals of a sewer rat with a dose of the clap, would it be the worst thing ever if one of these came through and I told the 1st place I'd changed my mind?

To be honest, most of me is thinking I could have started two weeks ago if you lot hadn't made such a mess, or even be starting next monday if you lot pulled you're finger out, so its you're fault entirely here. Sellers market and you wait too long and its gone and all that.

One drawback is the 1st place is local. Not a huge place but spot on for my skillset. Danger is might burn bridges with them forever.
                    You have a cast iron way to get out of any contract you want, just send them your profile here and everyone will run a mile.
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Well I did it and glad I did.....

Agent didn't even bother to respond to my email. Yeh cheers for that.

I have a feeling it was on hold anyway so they didn't want to waste any time on it...
                      There was absolutely zero doubt in anyones mind you would have.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X