• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone else asked to stay back an 1hr or per day??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

either say 'no I can't.'
    or do it but clock off early on Friday.
    I've met many contractors who do the latter and the client might grumble but they never get rid of anyone for that.

For me, it's down to a professional working day. That is not a fixed number of hours, but it has to be equitable however it's done.

If it's a project go-live then extra hours are expected and usual, but for those cases plan in advance and work out with the client how you'll be remunerated for them.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

The issue you have is that you've made it your new norm, by doing this for the last couple of months. You either need to accept it, or make it clear it cannot continue, that you are contracted a certain number of hours.

Only you can decide which is best for you; depending on your criticality to the client, the second could see you managed out of the door.
      Last edited by Paralytic; 22 September 2021, 09:23.

Comment

When I worked big distance contracts in IT. It was pretty much a given to arrive mid-morning (10-11 am local time) and depart early mid afternoon on Friday (1-3pm local time) and claw back the hours during the week by staying a little later.

On one particular contract years ago people were expected by management to start very early (<8am) and stay until very late (>9pm) I refused.
        Former IPSE member
        My Website

Comment

Management are often trying it on. If you say no, they grumble a bit, but then forget about it. The mugs work the extra hours. Like permies.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post
            When I worked big distance contracts in IT. It was pretty much a given to arrive mid-morning (10-11 am local time) and depart early mid afternoon on Friday (1-3pm local time) and claw back the hours during the week by staying a little later.

On one particular contract years ago people were expected by management to start very early (<8am) and stay until very late (>9pm) I refused.
            Those sorts of hours seem to be quite often in the sticky end of financial services, investment banks and the like. In my brief time in retail banking I never worked beyond 5pm and was mentally switched off by 4pm (some would argue I was never switched on...)

Comment

Most contractors I have worked with broadly speaking do the hours expected. I once had a contract when a slight pain in the arse was doing 12 hour days while the rest of us were struggling to fill a normal working day. He got a one month extension at the end and I went off and did another contract with a two week break.

Really not worth it (with short term exceptions).

Comment

There's two sides to this, but to me it sounds as if your client relationship is not good and they are playing you. They are trying to show their authority or just completely disorganised and catching up at your expense. Who in their right mind asks somebody last minute to work late without pay / or an arrangement to finish early on another day. It will be a thankless task and you'll never get credit for it. If it were me, my answer straight up would be NO, I have personal commitments so unable to work O/T FOC.

But, also IF the relationship with client is good, then yes I'd do it (I have done in the past many times), but straight up tell them I'm finishing early on another day. And they will thank you for it.

Comment

Or just offer to start later.

Comment

You mentioned the other contractors in the same situation. If you have a good relationship with either, check if they have negotiated special terms to compensate (or if they disappear early on a friday for example). It's quite likely they won't tell you though if the agreement was confidential.

If this is the new normal, and you think the manager is unlikely to offer special terms to you individually, you need to look for another job.
                    ‘His body, his mind and his soul are his capital, and his task in life is to invest it favourably to make a profit of himself.’ (Erich Fromm, ‘The Sane Society’, Routledge, 1991, p.138)

Comment

I don't think it's normal at all and it's not been expected any place I've worked. If I was asked (or more likely, quietly having the expectation placed on me) I would say no. There are plenty of other contracts out there, I don't need to walk away, but I know I can assert what I believe to be fair.

If you are remote how would anyone know/say anything anyway? If anyone asks about your hours you can ask them whether there's an issue with the amount of work you've done or your productivity and have the conversation about that.

Comment

Working...
                      X