• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CV length nowadays

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CV length nowadays

A quick web search recently for CV length seemed to suggest that 2 pages is optimal. Seems to have been like that for many years.

However, having been around a bit in IT (as a developer), both contract and permie, my CV has been 3 pages for a long time. I was happy with that based wanting to communicate that I have a lot of experience.

In the process of updating it recently, my CV has gone to 4 pages (not much on 4th page though). I'm inclined to think that I should try to keep it down to 3 pages.

Wondering how long other peoples CV's are, and does it make much difference whether chasing contractor roles or permie roles?

It boils down to the attention span of the agents working at the recruitment agencies, some want quite a bit of detail but a vast majority have the attention deficit of a gold fish and need font size 20 in comic sans and of course 1 page cv. I aim for 3 pages and keep the detail tight so it reflects my work without it been long winded, if you have been in the circuit for a long time; keep 2 cvs, one to fish on places like jobserve but get a professional portfolio cv in pdf format which can run into pages and when you hooked a agent then you can give the option them using one or the other to show the end client.

Comment

3 pages max IMO. Nothing has changed. People's attention spans and time to sift is still the same regardless of what is happening in the workplace etc.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I have always had a one page CV, although when the agents add their own header it ends up being one and a half.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
          I have always had a one page CV, although when the agents add their own header it ends up being one and a half.
          How did we know your CV would be different the norm huh?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

How did we know your CV would be different the norm huh?
            how else would he be able to talk about himself on an otherwise anodyne thread.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Three pages.

Unabridged version is on my LI profile if people really want to know what I was doing in 1999 (not a lot).

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
                I remember having a one page CV. I was just about to leave school for my first job in the big wide world.

Comment

3 pages. Two main versions of it, one mentions the industry each client is in without naming them, the other names the client.
                  If I'm going via an agent, they see the industry only. If I'm going direct, they get to see the names.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Is CV length such a thing since they started getting sent electronically?

Comment

Working...
                    X