• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accepted offer now being counter offered

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accepted offer now being counter offered

Not contract this time but perm, I've know for a few years I was 20% below market rate but I sucked it up as lots of flexibility been here years etc I like the people and know my stuff, every year though I did complain on comp but nothing changed. Fast forward to a few weeks back I get approached by agent and secure a role with 22% up lift in base salary, I signed contract with the employer but it subject to successful screening. I resigned and then suddenly current employer counter offers to match plus a bit more.

I'm torn as to what to do, part of me thinks move on it shouldnt of taken my resignation to get a counter offer plus its a change, career wise I'm not bothered on progression as long as money ok. Other part of me thinks I'm tired and I'm no spring chicken but probably got 10 yrs working life left and do I really want to deal with being new boy again, learning all over again, I'm worried I don't have the motivation. The lack of salary increase in current role though started to feel like a p #ss take though and really grated on me. Not saying I will but if I've signed contract for the new job already could the agent come back to me on it (sue for loss of com) even though conditions of the offer are still to be met ie screening successful they havent even started screening yet?
    ​​
    ​​
    Last edited by BoggyMcCBoggyFace; 14 September 2021, 13:23.

not sure what you want asking contractors about your permie career.
    This might help though

Mumsnet | The UK's most popular website for parents

or post your question in General.

Seriously though. The agency cannot do anything. Even if you've signed a contract. You will sign a contract with the employer not the agency. And the agency will likely not get until you've passed a probationary period. And they are likely to get a large chunk (maybe 20% of your salary).
    As for the rest of it. Sounds like you've already lost all your drive and ambition so stick with the crap you know. And wait for retirement.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Conventional wisdom is to ignore the counter-offer and leave, as the reasons for leaving will crop up and you'll likely be in the same boat in the not too distant future.

However, that's only true if you're leaving for reasons other than money - if the sole reason for leaving is money, then you may want to consider staying.

Think like a contractor - decide which one is your preference (sounds like you're leaning towards staying), and use it as a bargaining chip with the other offerer to see if you can get a better salary.

Personally, I'd be wary about sticking with a company that has happily been underpaying you and suddenly find a 20+% rise when you hand your notice in - that's not an employer that treats it's staff well in my opinion.

Comment

If you stay in a few years time you will be back in the same boat because there is zero chance your newly increased pay will be increased.

Personally I see zero reason for taking the counter offer, just move on.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

If you're happy with your current employer and the only reason you are looking to move is because of the pay then stay put.

If you're looking to move because you want a different opportunity, a change of scenery, etc etc then leave and take the new job. If you stayed in a naff job, it's still a naff job but just paid a bit better. You'll get itchy feet again soon enough if the desire to change was about more than money.

Bear in mind that it sounds like your current employer had no idea you wanted more money until you quit, and so were quite happy to save money on you for years without aligning your pay to market rates.

Comment

Thanks for replies yeah I know Lance it contractor site I was a contractor for years and used this site just wanted other peoples views.

Yeah agreed fiisch main reason I've considered moving is money and your right it shouldnt of taken another offer to get my base salary were it is.

ladymuck they knew I wanted more money years I told them many times, but for some reason company policy seems to be drag out pay rises until they get another offer, I've seen them do it to 4 people now, it's odd way to do things
            ​​.

Good to know on the agency front they can't do much.
            Last edited by BoggyMcCBoggyFace; 14 September 2021, 13:42.

Comment

Not sure why you'd want to stay somewhere that values you so little, flexibility or not.
              ​​​​​​
              ​​​​​​Having said that, push them for more cash, see how much they do realise they need you.

Comment

Without question move. Your chance for another pay rise will be zero if you stay. And a new job brings new friends and connections

Comment

Accept the counter offer. In 6 months start looking for another role for even more money. At some point I upped my salary from 30k to 50k within 2 years this way.

Comment

Originally posted by BoggyMcCBoggyFace View Post

Yeah agreed fiisch main reason I've considered moving is money and your right it shouldnt of taken another offer to get my base salary were it is.

ladymuck they knew I wanted more money years I told them many times, but for some reason company policy seems to be drag out pay rises until they get another offer, I've seen them do it to 4 people now, it's odd way to do things
                    ​​
                    Ask your current employer to back pay the salary you feel should have gotten, as a lump sum, to the date where first asked for and were refused an increase. eg, if it was 4 years ago, ask for the additional salary you would have gotten with a 5% increase each year for the past 3 years, leading to the 20% increase now. You'll take a tax hit (unless they can somehow turn it into shares/options that vest over x years) but if money is the thing that will help you decide, this may sway you into staying.
                    Last edited by Paralytic; 14 September 2021, 14:21.

Comment

Working...
                    X