• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice from long commuters

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vwdan View Post

Same, there's obviously a lot of drawbacks about staying away - but actually I found when both my wife and I were working full time I might aswell stay away than have a huge commute because at least I'm not completely ****ed on a weekend.
    You were completely ****ed that weekend I met you.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      Decent gig but they want someone in the office two days per week.
      1hr 45 mins each way (without traffic) - 97 miles.

I've done gigs in the past about 1hr 15min away and that did my head in. I did one for two years that I caught a train, but was still almost 2 hours door to door every day. Got used to sleeping on the train.

This one, alas, train isnt an option.

I'm guessing two days a week is going to make a huge difference to five? Probably too far to drive though for each of those two days and better to stay over maybe?

Looking for opinions here....

IF you are in the office two days I week, you only need to stay over one night. As you are working inside, you need to cut costs. Try looking for a room on airbnb?

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
        Interesting it always seems the contractor types that prefer these gigs away from home are the ones that are sick of the kids and spouse and looking for an escape / "bit of an adventure"
        Cant you search for dogging sites?
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
          97 miles? Massive swerve for me. But I hate commuting in a car, I'd moan if it was 10 miles.

Just so much wasted time.

qh
          Two days a week though - so just 2x 97miles if I stay over. 3.5 hours a week pretty much.

My last/current gig is about 15 miles away. I reckon that used to take me a combined total of 1 1/5 hours per day due to traffic. So x5 thats even more.

Saying that gig before as Im sure I mentioned, 90 mins door to door (albeit via train) each way. Adds up a lot. 15 hours a week travelling.....
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

You were completely ****ed that weekend I met you.
            I'm still hungover!

Comment

Commuting via train isn't too bad as you can at least read, work, etc, and not be sitting in traffic.

qh
              He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

So you are saying you should get a commercial rate and then admit you didn't fraudulently and got caught? Proper smart that is.
                I didn't commit fraud as I didn't pretend to work for them in any way, just asked that I could book a room at their rate. Anyway turns out I had done myself as I went to another better hotel and said how long I was there and they gave me a cheaper rate, doh!
                But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

I didn't commit fraud as I didn't pretend to work for them in any way, just asked that I could book a room at their rate. Anyway turns out I had done myself as I went to another better hotel and said how long I was there and they gave me a cheaper rate, doh!
                  I would argue you did, you mislead the hotel in to thinking you were working for them, granted they didn't ask but that's because they trusted you, and when asked to provide evidence you ran off. Rather an extreme word but if the definition is 'fraud is intentional deception to secure unfair or unlawful gain' then you technically commited fraud. I can see why you think you didn't but looking from the outside it's about as clear as it can be.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

WHS, back a few years when I started being interested in the arts and stuff, deliberately took a tulip contract at Raynes Park so had access into central London. Made enough but not loads over 4 days as two days were nearly half day excursions and the next morning's nursing hangovers.
                    Raynes Park? My old stomping ground! Racing Post? Racal as was?
                    Were you introduced to the delights of the Cavern pub?
                    Former IPSE member
                    My Website

Comment

Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post

Raynes Park? My old stomping ground! Racing Post? Racal as was?
                      Were you introduced to the delights of the Cavern pub?
                      Old Racal site, was Thales when I was there, then they moved down to a super site at Crawley, but there's nothing super about Crawley. Did a quick 6 monther and made some excuses around a poxy 1 month renewal, and never went back!

Don't recall the Cavern Pub, had digs in New Malden, so used the Fountain as a local, think it shut once spoons opened up. Did most of my heavy drinking in Surbiton and the West End.
                      But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Working...
                      X