• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

payment terms- 45 days versus 30?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

payment terms- 45 days versus 30?

I'm normally OK with 30 days but I have noticed a lot of new contracts going to 45.
    Is this a new thing?

Hands up how many people have seen 'a lot of new contracts going to 45'? I haven't. Is this specifically for remote gigs that involve paying to an entity in a different country?

I've seen (and had one) examples of over 30 days but very rarely and usually only direct of via consultancy.

Certainly not new thing as B2B can be up to 90+ days but usually the agents factoring the payments that brings it down.

The types of gig you look at being an EU contractor might be different but for UK gigs I'm not seeing any change.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lorakeen View Post
      I'm normally OK with 30 days but I have noticed a lot of new contracts going to 45.
      Is this a new thing?
      No, not a new thing. Payment terms have existed for years.
      The number of days is something that is normally negotiated between the customer and supplier and can vary from payment before delivery to 120 days or more.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Hands up how many people have seen 'a lot of new contracts going to 45'? I haven't. Is this specifically for remote gigs that involve paying to an entity in a different country?

I've seen (and had one) examples of over 30 days but very rarely and usually only direct of via consultancy.

Certainly not new thing as B2B can be up to 90+ days but usually the agents factoring the payments that brings it down.

The types of gig you look at being an EU contractor might be different but for UK gigs I'm not seeing any change.
        I prefer to go direct if I can, and normally the 30 days payment works for most companies in my experience.
        But I had some in my inbox recently, in UK and Europe that seem to regard 45 as standard.

Comment

Payment terms like everything is negotiable. I personally don't accept contracts that don't pay weekly

Comment

Originally posted by cannon999 View Post
            Payment terms like everything is negotiable. I personally don't accept contracts that don't pay weekly
            but you're dealing with agencies.
            The OP isn't. No (well very few) direct client is going to go for weekly payments as it's an admin burden.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I'm currently on 45 day terms with a small consultancy. I get paid on time and any delays, which are rare, are quickly communicated.

Depends on whether you trust the party that's paying you. Do your due diligence checks before agreeing to payment terms.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

but you're dealing with agencies.
                The OP isn't. No (well very few) direct client is going to go for weekly payments as it's an admin burden.
                I find that going direct works better in terms of trust than using agencies, but that may just be me.

Comment

Originally posted by lorakeen View Post

I find that going direct works better in terms of trust than using agencies, but that may just be me.
                  I don't have any trust issues with agencies. In fact you're more likely to not get paid by a client than an agency.
                  I don't like dealing with agents as they have stupid self-billing systems, archaic timesheets, and rarely allow me to just invoice on delivery.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

I don't have any trust issues with agencies. In fact you're more likely to not get paid by a client than an agency.
                    I don't like dealing with agents as they have stupid self-billing systems, archaic timesheets, and rarely allow me to just invoice on delivery.
                    If we start talking about archaic timesheets I may just scream.

Comment

Working...
                    X