• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

payment terms- 45 days versus 30?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't had anything but monthly for about a decade.

Comment

I've had weekly payments from Search.

Comment

Longest I've had was three weeks. Shortest was next day on receipt of invoice!
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I've had everything from near instantaneous payment (like, within a few hours of invoice received - small business obv.) to 90 days, the latter involving a couple of layers of subcontracting and, with that one, 10% of all invoices were withheld until all deliverables met - was a cool project, though. So, yeah, varies dramatically. Nothing unusual about 45 days, but perhaps they're leaking outwards with covid cashflow issues, dunno - haven't noticed it myself.

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post

Do you turn down a lot of contracts then? Weekly's the same as monthly if you have a warchest...

Imagine turning down paid work for some sense of regular cashflow... I know what I'd do
            Never been an issue so far. Is a client really going to go with a different contractor because of payment terms? My skills are pretty niche so goodluck with that.

Comment

I'd prefer to get paid monthly, but am with Hays at the moment who pay weekly.

Comment

In practise, on 45 day terms, you still receive a monthly payment, it's not 45 days between payments. Waiting for the first one to come in can feel painful if you've had a long gap. There's also the 'bonus' that you get paid long after the contract has ended, which can help smooth over any break in gigs or early hiccups with a new client.

Comment

Morson and Hays are weekly.
                  Current project going direct via a framework - anything up to 7 weeks.
                  Current client hasn't set anyone up to approve my invoices so I have to wait for the frameworks 'auto-approval' after 3 weeks, then it's 4 weeks for the money to flow through to me. In theory, I could 'up' my invoice to anything I want rather than stick to my agreed milestone amounts!

Comment

Working...
                  X