• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What are the main things that will attract you to your next contract role?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are the main things that will attract you to your next contract role?

I'm working with a client to help them improve their capabilities in attracting, recruiting and retaining people, especially contractors. I'm interested to know what specific things about an organisation or contract role are most likely to influence you to apply for your next role?

Not much, but a good starting point would be:

Clearly and legally outside IR35
    Sensible rate for the skills required
    No bull about corporate values and team development
    Clarity over location and duration
    No employee-type demands or benefits

And if it is clearly and legally outside IR35 then that would be a bonus.

HTH.

Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
      I'm working with a client to help them improve their capabilities in attracting, recruiting and retaining people, especially contractors. I'm interested to know what specific things about an organisation or contract role are most likely to influence you to apply for your next role?
      Specific things I'd look for in my next contract is a client that isn't trying to attract, recruit and retain me

You need to point out to your client they are applying the wrong framework to the wrong people. If they want to get the best contractors then focus on the supplier engagement process, produce requirements for set pieces of work and engage quality contractors in solid outside IR35 contracts. The points you made will have the opposite affect by treating contractors like employees and so set a mindset that contractors are inside.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 4 August 2021, 11:43.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I'm working with a client to help them improve their capabilities in attracting, recruiting and retaining people, especially contractors.
        And can't forget....

Click image for larger version  Name:	912accb5_picard-facepalm.png?w=240.png Views:	0 Size:	35.6 KB ID:	4176281

Comment

To quote something from LinkedIn recently, talking about "What can companies consider to access IT contractor talent as IR35-led shortages continue?"

If you need a contractor you need a short term resource to deliver a specific piece of work. So that's what you should put in the job description. And lo and behold, you can write a JD that is clearly and defensively outside IR35.

If you can't write such a JD, then you don't need a contractor, you need an employee or, at best, an FTC.

Not understanding the difference is at the heart of the shortage. On both sides...
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Retaining in what way? Make sure they stick around to complete a project or encourage them to take more and more extensions to work on other stuff they think up?

Comment

Really the only specific objective thing the client has much control over is the Rate. Every thing else is bit subjective. Might not be every contractors cup of tea. While nearly every one loves a high rate!

What i look for:

Does the project sound interesting, is the tech stack something i want to work with in my next role. (This is mostly specific to me, the client cant possibly know if I will be interested in what they are doing)

Does the client sound like they really value high quality work. Most clients say they do, but mostly they just want something that works and passes their QA process.

The rate. Client has full control of this one.

The skills and experience I will gain. Again specific to me, the client might be offering bleeding edge skills, but I still might not be interested in them.

Duration. Are renewals likely to be on offer. Or is it a short term gig.

At interview stage i also try to get a feel for the employees who are interviewing me from client co, what would they would be like to deal with. Any red flags personality wise, if so i would normally turn down the gig (unless i had been on the bench for a while in which case i would take the gig but be looking to get out asap)

Comment

Cash.

Seriously though - I'm very........CV driven if you like. Contracts which leave me little in the way of CV fodder stress me out a lot because I always wonder if I'm going the right direction in my career, and what I'm going to get next. I had a very very easy 12 month contract with a local firm, but the truth is a lot of the work was very basic and small fry.

On the contrary, I've been in quite stressful hard work contracts - but knowing it had a huge amount of "wow" factor made it very easy to put up with
                Last edited by vwdan; 4 August 2021, 13:17.

Comment

Putting the point that you are using a permie approach on contractors, which is absolutely key here, to one side for a second..

Looking at what people want is only half the story, you need to be also looking at what people don't want. Removing demotivating factors is just as effective as working on motivating factors. Also some of the things you think motivate people don't. Money is a great example. Most people think giving a rise is a motivator, it isn't (actually it is for contractors which points again at the flaw in approach). Salary is a 'Hygiene Factor' which means it usually causes dissatisfaction and a rise will only move that person to a level of satisfied and only for a short period of time, typically a year until the salary is not increased and dissatisfaction kicks in again. Money rarely motivates employees, it only stops them being unhappy for awhile. Giving someone the desk near the window is likely to motivate them must more than a 3% pay rise they will likely not get next year.

Although I mentioned money is important to contractors more than permies as a motivator it comes a poor second next to remote working, interesting work and responsibilities as I think some people have already mentioned. Maybe you should also be asking what type of things would put a contractor off and clean those up first? Or at least in parallel.

Using some motivational writings like those of Hertzberg, Vroom and McGregor will, I am sure, paint a whole different picture and will give you a clear path to make improvements. If the people trying to motivate/keep/incentivise staff don't understand what actually does those things you are on a hiding to nowhere.

Comment

What makes me initially interested in a gig:

Does the work sound interesting
                    Can I pay the bills on the rate with some left over for a rainy day
                    Who is the client - do I know them / the industry (or do I want to)
                    Proportion of remote working

What keeps me at a gig:

State of the market
                    Working environment - is it toxic or do people behave like adults
                    Is the work what they said it would be (or is it better)
                    What am I learning / what contacts can I make
                    Last edited by ladymuck; 4 August 2021, 15:39.

Comment

Working...
                    X