• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ROI Gig (100% remote) want to pay in Euros

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ROI Gig (100% remote) want to pay in Euros

Chance of a few months work, but they want to pay in euros.

I checked here but the page has gone.

Obviously we have the wonderful Brexit how has that changed things? Worth doing or a minefield best avoided?

qh
    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Ask yourself. Which is stronger? Euro or sterling. If the former, then go for it. If the latter, resist.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I did this for awhile when covid struck. If you can guarantee that you won't need to go to Ireland then it's no problem in terms of tax just need the VAT code of the agency for your accountant. If you need to go for less than 20-odd days then still doable I think there are others who know more than me on here. Regular trips become a bit of a nightmare.

Also check that there is no UK-arm of the end client (which I'm assuming unusual) because if there is then they have to make a declaration about the role in terms of IR35.

Also there's the exchange rate...

Comment

Originally posted by Antman View Post
        I did this for awhile when covid struck. If you can guarantee that you won't need to go to Ireland then it's no problem in terms of tax just need the VAT code of the agency for your accountant. If you need to go for less than 20-odd days then still doable I think there are others who know more than me on here. Regular trips become a bit of a nightmare.

Also check that there is no UK-arm of the end client (which I'm assuming unusual) because if there is and they don't meet the small company exemption criteria then they have to make a declaration about the role in terms of IR35.

Also there's the exchange rate...
        Last year was pre Brexit - things may be different now -

To the OP that link has gone so I would just phone those accountants up and ask them a question or two...
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Short gig 2 months and it is 100% remote. And they have said it is outside IR35.

For NLUK, yes I will be speaking to my accountant today.

qh

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
            Short gig 2 months and it is 100% remote. And they have said it is outside IR35.

For NLUK, yes I will be speaking to my accountant today.

qh
            You bring a happy tear to my old wrinkly eyes!
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You say they 'want' to pay in Euros. Is that the same as they 'insist' to pay in Euros, or can you push them hard on this on the basis you don't have an EUR bank account? It's easy to get an EUR account but if you can avoid the faff it's one less thing.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Spoke to accountant and he said there is no issue, FreeAgent will make the conversion back to GBP.

qh

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
                  Spoke to accountant and he said there is no issue, FreeAgent will make the conversion back to GBP.

qh
                  I would still set up a wise account and use wise to convert the money from Euros to £...

You don't want your bank to accept euros as they will skim a fair chunk from you.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    You say they 'want' to pay in Euros. Is that the same as they 'insist' to pay in Euros, or can you push them hard on this on the basis you don't have an EUR bank account? It's easy to get an EUR account but if you can avoid the faff it's one less thing.
                    I am waiting for them to get back to me, I gave my daily rate + 15% for all the faff and exchange rates and short gig length.

qh

Comment

Working...
                    X